Thursday Night Bar Fight #15: It’s a trap!

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Don Zeko

A huge part of this is just going to be figuring out how to best use Bryan Cranston, Idris Elba, Michael K Williams, and Jon Hamm. That said, Aaron Paul is my Luke Skywalker, hands down. How do people feel about Nathan Fillion playing Han Solo, since Malcolm Reynolds is about 70% Han Solo to start with?Report

2. Avatar Patrick

Patrick Stewart as Grand Moff Tarkin (he’d make a great bad guy).Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

Re: [2]

As for me and my brain, we’re tumbling over the whole “Who is going to play Ben Kenobi?” question. I’m thinking a guy who was known as a “real” actor in the 3, maybe 4, decades prior but has pretty much mostly disappeared since. Some stage work in there (if not Shakespeare), some lighter fare too… but mostly surprising because he’s, like, a really, really good actor in the middle of this dreck.

Ralph Richardson is dead. Which sucks. Crap, so is Nigel Hawthorne.
    Sam Shepard? Is he disqualified?Report

4. Avatar Chris

We could just transfer the entire cast of That 70s Show. Wait, there was more than one woman on That 70s Show. Nevermind.Report

5. Avatar J@m3z Aitch

I think this is a necessary video addition to the conversation.Report

6. Avatar J@m3z Aitch

I’m unhappy about your no movie actors rule, because I think Seth Green would be perfect to play the Ewoks (all of them). And I don’t watch enough actual scripted TV to play by the rules.Report

7. Avatar Russell Saunders

1) I find it so charming that you have no idea what movies Sarah Michelle Gellar has been in. It makes me feel ever so slightly less out of touch with humanity, if only by comparison. (I loved her in “Cruel Intentions,” and there have been a handful of very successful horror flicks.)

2) The only casting choice I know I want for sure is Tina Fey playing Princess Leia.Report

8. Avatar J@m3z Aitch

How about Jeff Goldblum to play Han Solo? His lack of smoothness and element of creepiness would make for a great re-visioning of the character.Report

9. Avatar Glyph

Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) for Luke Skywalker. Can do both gawky/naive/plucky, and we know he can cover bad/absentee father anguish for the whole “THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!” scene.Report

10. Avatar LeeEsq

If we are going for television actors, and considering that Luke and Leia are both kind of young (you can see at least Star Wars as a coming of age trilogoy), I’d say we should raid the Disney channel for actors for at least Luke and Leia. Maybe even Han but I can’t see anybody bellow 25 playing Han Solo well. I’d argue that Han should be at least 30 even if this makes his relationship with Leia squicky.Report

11. Avatar Glyph

Tatiana Maslany for all the roles, including the ‘droids.Report

12. Avatar Patrick

If you were going to do a re-jiggering of things, Katie Sackhoff would make a great female Han Solo. This would have a cascade effect on some other things…Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Patrick

Can Katie Sackhoff do “funny” though? Han gets most of the jokes.

This would have a cascade effect on some other things…

Or not. Either way is fine, really.Report

• Avatar Patrick in reply to Glyph

One thing about the age dynamic: I didn’t want to go with Fillion or Fey because they’re both too old.

No offense, you two, if you’re reading this, but Luke is supposed to be like 18 or something. I’d be hard pressed to see a whiny teenager as Tina Fey’s twin brother.

Han, on the other hand, is older. I think Katie could pull off “sardonic”Report

• Avatar LeeEsq in reply to Glyph

Patrick, thats why I want to raid the Disney channel for actors. We should be able to find people that are good enough there and the appropriate age.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Patrick

“The fact that there’s really only two actresses to cast (Leia and Mon Mothma) is kind of lame.”

As a reminder: other than the rule about using television actors, you have full control over casting. You are allowed to cast Oprah as Darth Vader, or Maisie WIlliams (the actress who plays Arya Stark on GoT*) as Luke.

* Speaking of which… I know I don’t usually chime in on TNBFs, but writing that makes me think that casting Peter Dinklage as R2D2 would be great, especially if you cast a Black-Adder-III-era Rowan Atkinson as C3PO. Just the scenes where the two of them banter and insult one another would be worth making the entire movie.Report

• Avatar Fish in reply to Patrick

I’m sold. In addition to casting Sackoff as Han Solo, we could make “Luke” the sister and “Leia” the brother, preserving the romance.Report

13. Avatar Patrick

Can we argue that Mark Hammill is now primarily a television actor?

I actually think he’d make a pretty good Emperor.Report

14. Avatar Dan Miller

Jason Segal as Chewbacca is a must-have.Report

15. Avatar Patrick

I’m having fun imagining all the bit parts.

Remember when Luke turns off his targeting computer, and the guy asks him what’s wrong, and when Luke replies “Nothing”, they’re showing some nameless old guy with a headset who’s got a “WTF?” expression on his face?

Tom Selleck, right there.

After Han Solo plugs Greedo and they do the sweep cam of the bar, and there’s the guy smoking the hookah who looks away with the, “What a rookie” expression? Benedict Cumberbach.

The fat guard who gets all teary when the rancor gets killed? Louis CK.Report

16. Avatar NewDealer

Nana Visitor as Leila.

Mainly because I love Major Kira.Report

17. Avatar BlaiseP

Go with all new faces. These people will be stepping into roles which will leave them typecast for the rest of their lives.Report

18. Avatar JG New

John Colicos as Emperor Palpatine. Nobody does villainy better.Report

19. Avatar Pinky

I’m just going to go all Lost, in mostly the same characters.

Jack – Luke
    Kate – Leia
    Sawyer – Han (how good would that be?)
    Mr. Eko – Darth Vader (the only physically intimidating cast member I can think of)
    Hurley – Chewbacca (the thought that inspired this list)
    Locke – The Emperor
    Desmond – Londo
    Charlie – C3POReport

20. Avatar Kolohe

Staring:
    Keke Palmer as Princess Leia
    Tristan Wilds as Luke Skywalker
    Daniel Sunjata as Han Solo (alternative: Aisha Tyler)
    Jaleel White as C3PO

also starting
    Blair Underwood as Grand Moff Tarkin
    Dennis Haysbert as Emperor Palpatine

special appearances by
    Nichelle Nichols as Mon Mothma
    Bill Cosby as Uncle Owen and Phylicia Rashad as Aunt Beru

Featuring Patrick Warburton, as Darth Vader’s Voice

and introducing Nathan Fillion as “Lando Calrissian”Report

21. Avatar KatherineMW

He probably deserves more than a bit part, but I’m recommending Charles Dance for Grand Moff Tarkin based on his performance as Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones.Report

22. Avatar DavidTC

There’s a longer version of that satirical video somewhere, which talks about the fact that records show Luke’s targeting computer wasn’t even _turned on_, which means there’s not only no way he could have hit his target, but there’s no record of whether he did or not.

And then there’s the suspicious fact that Biggs, a known associate of Luke’s, went off to join the Imperials, but then immediately ‘defected’ and joined the rebels, at which point he participated in the attack on the Death Star, and was personally shot down by Vader. Was he a cutout between Vader and the rebels, passing messages back and forth,and killed because he knew too much? Another unknown man in a stormtrooper uniform was involved in the transfer of Leia to the Correllian freighter, was it him?

And let’s not even get into the Kenobi connection, who mentored both Luke and Vader, and the fact there’s absolutely no evidence he’s really dead as is claimed.Report