Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar aaron david

I have been on a huge “Bobs Burgers” kick lately.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to aaron david

I watched the pilot on Netflix and liked it, kept meaning to go back and watch more. Will have to remember to do so. H. Jon Benjamin is awesome.

Finished my Blindsight re-read, started Starfish. Breaking Bad tonight.

Work tomorrow 🙁Report

• Avatar aaron david in reply to Glyph

I find it much funnier than Archer. The creator of Archer had a show called Frisky Dingo, which he stopped working on to do Archer. That show is IMHO the funniest thing ever put on the small screen, and to stop it to make something mildly funny… I was always slightly disappointed.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

Yeah, Archer SHOULD be right up my alley, but I dropped it after S1, it just wasn’t that funny. Never saw Frisky Dingo.

I’ve liked Benjamin going back to Dr. Katz, Home Movies (McGuirk RULES), …Has A Van, and his appearances on Demetri Martin’s show.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Glyph

The Home Movies episode dealing with Public Speaking? Brilliant.

Lord, I am so glad that weed was not legal when I was in my Home Movies phase.Report

2. Avatar aaron david

Went and saw End of the World with the wife today. Only OK, but it could be an interesting look at the crappyness of turning 40. Glyph, you will laugh your ash off at the music.Report

3. Avatar LeeEsq

This weekend I’ve read two books, Mao’s Great Famine and the Pol Pot Regime. Fun times, man, fun times.Report

4. Avatar aaron david

Did they leave you hungry for more?Report

5. Avatar Reformed Republican

I did not succeed at my reading goal for the weekend, though I made some good progress. I spent part of Saturday trying to find a replacement rim for the one that I bent, and I also had to replace the hard drive on my parents’ laptop and run the recovery disk to install the OS. Part of Sunday was spent deleting the crapware and installing antivirus and a few other basic things to get it ready to go.

Maybe I will be finished by the end of next weekend.

I watched a few episodes of Book 3 of Avatar while working on the laptop, and I got in a few more episodes of Freaks and Geeks. I have come to the conclusion that Daniel (James Franco’s character) is essentially a more realistic version of Fonzie, without the 70s sitcom trappings.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Reformed Republican

When I read W&P a few years ago, I kept looking at how many pages I had left and calculating, based on how quickly I’d gotten to that point, how long it would take me to finish. I think the only time I got my estimate right was when I had one more page and I told myself, “OK, I’m going to finish in the next few minutes.” Every other estimate was way off. That book, as wonderful as it is, is sort of like a black hole: the closer you get to the end, the more things seem to stretch out.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Reformed Republican

Has Daniel delivered the “tracks” speech yet?Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Glyph

Yes, he has. It was a beautiful moment.

I am really thinking about making my son watch this show. He will be starting high school next year, and there is also a possibility that we will be moving to Texas this summer. It seems like a good show about the perils of trying to fit in and figuring out who you are, while being absolutely entertaining.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

Lindsay’s uncontrollable laugh, when she realizes what’s happening/happened, and Harold’s reaction, is one of my favorite moments of the series.

Texas, huh?Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

Where in Texas?Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Glyph

Yes, Texas. A couple years ago, my company expanded into Texas. My boss was moved out there, and I had the opportunity to go. However, since my marriage was in the process of imploding, it was not a good time.

Earlier this year, we were purchased by our largest customer. My boss was put in charge of their chemical R&D, as well as ours. He is strongly encouraging me to relocate, and I am seriously considering it. I am the last chemical R&D holdout at my location, and my opportunities to move up are limited. Also, should anything bad happen to my job, there are a lot more opportunities in Texas than Florida.

I have lived in my current city for my entire life, with the exception my time at college, which was still in Florida. Moving to another state is a big deal. Fortunately, where I am from, huge belt buckles and cowboy boots are pretty common. I do not think the culture will be too shockingly different in the Houston area.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

Houston and Florida share humidity, mosquitoes, and proximity to Alabama, but little else.Report

6. Avatar Maribou

Bookwise I’m in the middle of half-a-dozen different things. Umm. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Better than Fiction, Memory of the World (all nonfiction) and then I sort of started Redshirts. Also I am still listening to Diane Duane’s Young Wizards series on CD.

I watched the movie Dil Chahta Hai last night. Don’t remember why I watched it – I think I mentioned liking the actor who plays DJ in Rang de Basanti to someone? Anyway, it was delightful. Corny, but only in the way Bollywood movies should be.Report