Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I planned on attending the annual dove shoot on Saturday. Instead I was told we will be working at 6am to dig out of a hole we have found ourselves in. Ugh. That means a very early wake up call and no hunting. I will go in and mutter curses about my employer under my breath the entire time. Home for a nap and then attempt to salvage the evening with a nice dinner and maybe a movie.

Sunday we were invited to a polo match. Very foo-foo. The ladies of the house are excited to dress up and re-enact the scene from Pretty Woman. I will eat lots of delicious free food and try not to sweat too much.

2. Avatar J@m3z Aitch

Fixing loose shingles on my mom’s roof tomorrow, hope to finish painting the NW wall of my house Sat/Sun? There are people who have time to watch football on the weekends?Report

3. Avatar RTod

Bachelor party.

Nuf said.Report

4. Avatar Will Truman

Thirteen days without a cigarette. I’m not sure I’m going to make it to twenty, but it’s all going better than expected.

This is the last weekend before Clancy goes back to work. The state medical board only meets once every two months, which was the cause for the delay.

Clancy’s sister may be visiting us. Which means I guess I gotta look around and figure out how I am going to organize the rest of the house, since I don’t think Clancy will be able to do anymore. My computer crashed three times today and I told myself I couldn’t order the new one until everything was packed away. Motivation.

Also, college football.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Will Truman

Thirteen days without a cigarette.

Woot woot, as the kids say.

Hopin’ you make it to 20.Report

• Avatar zic in reply to Will Truman

Good job. I hope you can keep it up. I keep falling off the wagon; mostly in times of stress. But I know I can get through it, now.

I started as a teenager, and it seems to be hooked into my pleasure centers. I’m grateful it’s a bit more difficult for children to access tobacco, now. I suspect trying it after 21, after the brain’s developed, makes it easier to quit later on.Report

• Avatar Pinky in reply to Will Truman

I gave up chewing tobacco after 5 years in my late teens/early 20’s. The first five days, you’re dealing with withdrawl. The next couple of weeks, you’re dealing with psychological stuff. After that, it’s just keeping yourself out of the habit (which is harder than you’d think, but it’s nothing compared to the first five days).

If your computer crashed three times today and you’re still mentally fit enough to write coherent sentences with punctuation and everything, you’re out of the woods. Congratulations. Now, define yourself as an ex-smoker who hates smokers (including your old self). The self-loathing will give you a new persona. Yeah, it’s not the most sane advice, but it does help.Report

5. Avatar Mike Schilling

Thinking vaguely about seeing the Giants, who just got back home. The Panda had three homers last night, for the first time since the World Series, and tonight he hit a triple, which, given his bulk, is even less likely.Report

6. Avatar Maribou

Work. And school. But mostly work.Report

7. Avatar Reformed Republican

I plan to do a lot of reading this weekend. I have about 400 pages left in War and Peace, and I want to get through all of them.

I will probably squeeze in a little bit of Freaks and Geeks, and possibly get in some video games, but most of my non-chore time will be spent in a book.Report

8. Avatar zic

Celebrating my 53 birthday.

New job for my sweetie; he’ll be prepping to teach classes at Berklee, and he has gigs tonight, Saturday night, and Sunday night.

Finalizing the details in a design portfolio I’ve been working on for a while, now. Should be ready to go by Monday.Report

9. Avatar Mad Rocket Scientist

Recovering from the flu & packing for a week in Stuttgart, Germany (I am doing some work for Daimler). Also getting the new security system installed in the house.Report

10. Avatar Fish

Yesterday I finally decided to quit soccer and find a drum instructor. My youngest son’s guitar instructor recommended the drum instructor down the hall who just so happened to have a slot open right before my son’s guitar lesson. Tonight after work, I’ll head to the local music school/store to purchase a set of 2B sticks and a pad of manuscript paper. Excited! (Also hoping that I’ll prove to be a better drummer than I ever was a soccer player (that’s a very low bar)).

0800 soccer game for the aforementioned boy on Saturday, followed by hanging out with friends that afternoon. Sunday might be football…but that depends on how much care I can muster. My interest has seriously waned over the past few years, but it’s an excuse to go sit in a sports bar with friends and have a few beers while eating bad food, so…Report

• Avatar zic in reply to Fish

Sweet.

Just remember the secret of success at mastering a new instrument: repetitive practice. Better to practice 15 min. a day every day than two hours one day a week. Helps you better build up the muscle memory!Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to Fish

Though nothing is less-wanted than unwanted advice, if you’re going to take up drumming, rather than go with just a practice pad, get a set of electronic drums. They’re not hard to build and have the advantage of portability. A good set of samples and you’re off and running.

Good luck…Report

• Avatar zic in reply to BlaiseP

This is excellent advice. I’d add a good set of studio headphones, too. This allows you to play along with your music collection, without bugging anyone, except for the percussive thumping from the sticks on pads; which can be transported through an apartment floor quite loudly. Good padding underneath, a rug over a thick pad, helps.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to BlaiseP

There’s another practical advantage: if your drum rig is connected to a computer, many things become possible. Click tracks, recording, overdubs, revoicing, the possibilities are damned near endless. MIDI files are small, powerful and portable.Report

• Avatar Fish in reply to BlaiseP

Thanks, guys.

Reading all of your recommendations made me smile, because I’ve already got a nice Roland TD-4 kit down in the basement connected to a PC running Ubuntu which I built out of spare parts. This allows me to play along with mp3’s. No studio-quality headset, though. I’ve been a dabbler for a few years but now I’m hoping to learn how to actually _play_ the darn things! Good tip on the practice schedule, zic. I’m hoping to get at least 3-4 practice sessions in a week in the sliver of time between dinner and the kid’s bedtime.Report

11. Avatar Cascadian

@Dudette Happy Birthday! 😉

Another weekend, another sporting event in Whistler (GranFondo), another weekend of heavy traffic and road closures. I’ll be staying home mowing the lawn, working on the garage a bit, getting it ready for waxing season.Report

12. Avatar Burt Likko

Driving up US-395 to Lake Tahoe. Fresh Sierra air, high altitude. Kayaks. Grilled salmon. Starlight.Report