Monday Trivia, No. 129 [Don Zeko wins!]

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

(I’m actually getting conflicting information about “Jungle Fever.” Questioning whether I should remove it from the list.)Report

2. Avatar aaron david says:

They are all first movies for people who went on to win oscars.Report

3. Avatar aaron david says:

Oh, Zulu links to the Wedding Party.Report

4. So much for my hope that I would be able to get at least a movie trivia question correct. I’m wondering if it has something to do with special effects.Report

5. Avatar aaron david says:

First movies by people who later were on the cover of Vanity Fair.Report

6. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Wednesday hint: There’s several other films out there that technically meet this qualification, but I picked these because as for these films, things actually worked out the way they were supposed to.Report

• They all feature actors with no prior acting experience?Report

• Avatar aaron david says:

They all have actors who were relatively unknown beforehand, who went on to become major stars.Report

• @aaron-david Yes, I think that must be it.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

But why would I pick these unknown-and-later-successful actors as opposed to the universe of others available? Everyone was unknown at some point in their careers. Except Jodie Foster, who’s been famous since she was the Coppertone baby.

Sorry, you guys still haven’t hit on it.Report

• Are we even close, or hopelessly off base?Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

You’re very much in the right to be thinking about these being the first (or at least very early) films for actors who have gone on to realize success and fame. And it’s not contingent upon subsequent awards — everything is found within the specific movies themselves.

Focus on Nightmare on Elm Street, Heavenly Creatures, Lawrence of Arabia, The Mask, and Zulu, which are IMO the most prominent instances of [the answer]. Although it was re-watching Live and Let Die recently that inspired me to do this question, it is less famous than those other five movies in this respect.Report

• Avatar Don Zeko says:

So maybe it will help my thinking to list the actors that (I think) are getting each film included on the list. For the ones Burt is drawing our attention to, those are (probably) Johnny Depp, Kate Winslett, Peter O’Toole, Cameron Diaz and Michael Caine. Are these all movies that star actors who had not previously been credited in a theatrical release? Actors who had not previously been credited, starred, and eventually won oscars?Report

• Well, of those films (some of them I have seen), you have *SPOILERS* Depp (murdered by an undead serial killer in his dreams), Winslet (murderer), O’Toole (dies in a motorcycle accident), Diaz (survives, has a jazzy dance number) and Caine (haven’t seen it, no clue).

Live and Let Die focuses, I assume, on Jane Seymour (psychic, sleeps with James Bond, menaced by various thugs).Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Judging by the inclusion of Live and Let Die, I’m going to go with first rolls by future stars who are still not as cool as Yaphet Kotto.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

…Jane Seymour (psychic, sleeps with James Bond, menaced by various thugs).

Three proofreading points:
        1. Add “the ravishing” before “Jane Seymor”
        2. Strike the first comma from the quoted section and replace with “until she,”
        3. Add “…including the amazingly cool Yaphet Kotto, yesteryear’s Idris Elba.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

“Here’s to Al Giardello, too badass to die.” (Though that was, alas, inaccurate.)Report

7. Avatar Kolohe says:

They all have characters where the actor appears on screen after his or her character dies on-screen?Report

8. Avatar Alan Scott says:

I know that Johnny Depp didn’t actually plan to try out for his part in “Nightmare”–He got cast after driving a friend to the audition.

Are these all movies where a future star was cast by accident, as it were?Report

9. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Thursday hint: you’ve really got to actually watch the movies in order to get the information you need. It drives me up the wall that IMDB doesn’t collect this information, because it seems like it wouldn’t be that hard for it to do so.Report

• Avatar aaron david says:

Wait, I need to watch the movies in the order you listed them, or in the order they were released?
      (Just kidding, this has me stumped. I can get half way there on this [first films, famous] but the other half is killing me.)Report

10. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Friday hint: This almost always appears in the opening credits, and almost never in closing credits. It only (but not always) appears in relation to an actor who has not had a significant role in a motion picture previously.Report

11. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Who was introduced i the various films?Report

12. Ah. I believe you could also include “The Princess Bride” in this list?Report