Snowden!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar Glyph

Is it too late to rescind this post and go with this instead (H/T Dangerous Minds)?:

2. Avatar NewDealer

Isn’t this the obligatory end of summer music video?

3. Avatar krogerfoot

“Ou sont les niegedens d’antan?” I’d been wondering why “Snowden” was such an evocative name for me. Band is good too.Report

• Avatar Pierre Corneille in reply to krogerfoot

Grrrr….I was going to say that!Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to krogerfoot

I was refreshing my memory about the scene in question, and I realized you can largely re-create the dialogue in song titles:

Fun fact: A “Snowden” is ALSO a unit of soft X-ray emissivity (thanks wikipedia!)Report

• Avatar krogerfoot in reply to Glyph

Remind me not to try to impress you with my command of trivia.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

I WAS pretty good at Trivial Pursuit and the PC “Jeopardy!” game in college…unfortunately, I have been unable to translate my facility for retaining and associating pointless factoids, into any sort of monetary advantage…Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Glyph

I used to play the Apple IIe version of Jeopardy (and Family Feud) with regularity. I got really good at it, largely because I cycled through all the questions.Report

• Avatar krogerfoot in reply to Glyph

If I could get on Jeopardy, I’d never have to work again. Unless “Opera” was the Final Jeopardy question. And if I somehow knew the answer, I’d probably pull a Cliff Clavin on the “form of a question” requirement. Screw it, I’m never going on Jeopardy.

We had the “Baby Boomer” edition of Trivial Pursuit. Fully 80% of the correct answers, in any category, were “Richard Nixon” or “John Lennon.”Report

• Avatar J@m3z Aitch in reply to Glyph

I WAS pretty good at … the PC “Jeopardy!” game in college

Jeopardy was great until it went all PC. (Somebody had to say it.)Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

I have a work colleague who tries out for Jeopardy! every year. He’s made it quite far in the qualifying rounds, but never far enough to get onto the show yet.

My dorm-mate had the PC version and when we’d play teams, if I and the Canadian (who’d lived in Europe for several years) were on the same team, everyone else was screwed, because I could mop up many of the America-related questions and he got most of the Europe-related ones handily (though unfortunately, as a team we were really weak on the sports category, since it was American-sports-focused and I don’t know anything about those, and neither did he).

I think my dorm-mate had to buy a new keyboard at least once because everyone would hit it so hard trying to “buzz in” first.Report