Ordinary Times Fantasy Football: Join Us!

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Miss Mary

I keep telling myself I’m going to do this one day. I’m supposed to learn for work, so maybe now is a good time.Report

2. Avatar Just Me

It is official. I have Monday off, looking forward to draft day.Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly

WTF? I signed up, and it automatically listed me as “Tod’s Terrific Team.” How did that happen?

I can’t begin to tell you how much I do not want to be named Tod’s Terrific Team.Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko

It’s a bit non-obvious how to change your team name.

When you log in to the league, click on “My Team.” (Not on any of the drop-downs below that.)

Your team will show up with its awful name and whatever goofy logo you’ve chosen. To the left of that is a little circular icon that’s supposed to be a gear. Click on that. On that screen, you’ll be able to edit your team’s name, and if you wish, upload a different goofy logo. I enjoy logos of Eli Manning fumbling; YMMV.

I changed my team’s name just now as a test run. There’s a limit of 20 characters to the team name.

I’m quite sure you can do better than “Tod’s Terrific Team.”Report

5. Avatar Burt Likko

Also, I notice that we now have 15 teams, and one other player has indicated a wish to join as soon as he can get at a computer. So that’s all 16 slots filled. Excellent!

The live draft is tomorrow at noon, pacific time. You must have your player rank list locked in by 11:15 a.m. Pacific time — this is especially important if you can’t make the draft, in which case the computer will auto-pick from your rank list.

We won’t need to have a videoconference parallel to the draft. But your computer should be able to run a Flash application. Test it first. In fact, if you’ve not done so already, I suggest that you try a mock draft first, so you know what it’ll look like and how to use the interface.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! May you get the players you want (unless I want them more).Report

6. Avatar Burt Likko

Let me add a few notes about the autodraft.

If you can’t make it for the live draft for whatever reason, the computer will autodraft for you. I’ve done some of their mock drafts and the computer is pretty good about getting coverage for all positions and managing bye weeks. However, both times I did an autodraft — once using the Yahoo! list, and the other time using my own list, the computer didn’t make comprehensive bench picks. So that meant that for at least one week, I’d have at least one slot open. (In one mock draft, I had two weeks in which I would only be able to play one running back, for instance.)

This may be something that you can live with from the perspective of your strategy. If not, then you probably need to make sure you do the draft yourself.

Also, it may not be an issue for the live draft, but make a point of making sure that you have your own list selected before entering the draft. The last thing you check before you click the “enter draft” button is to make sure that your own priority list, and not Yahoo’s, is selected for you.

If you have autopick enabled, when it gets to your turn, the computer will wait ten seconds for you to override the autopick function. If you do, you pick the player yourself. If not, it will look for the next highest-ranked player for which it sees a vacancy on your roster and select that player for you.

Yahoo will try to open the draft in a new broswer window. If you do not have pop-ups enabled, you may encounter a delay in entering (there is a delay period of about two minutes between the opening of the draft and the starting of the timer for the #1 pick to let people straighten this out). So you may want to enable pop-ups, at least during the draft.

At the end of the day, I think you’ll be happier with the results if you do a live draft. Bear in mind that we have a sixteen-team league, and so towards the end the talent pool will be feeling a little shallow.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

The Scorned Intangibles are ready to open various cans of whoopass.Report

8. Avatar Tod Kelly

I am very excited, now that the draft has officially happened.

This is my first fantasy league ever and I’m not sure I’ve heard of half of the people I’ve drafted. If fantasy football is anything like March Madness pools, my utter lack of knowledge will surely translate into victories!Report

9. Avatar Miss Mary

My draft got a B- :(. I should have studied.Report

10. Avatar Just Me

How do we start bench players? I could have sworn I seen the option earlier, but now I can’t find how to do it.Report

11. Avatar Miss Mary

I am learning so much already! I learned how to move people around in my “line up” today. (I got a tutor.) You better watch out!Report