Lap-pop I!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar Chris says:

Ugh, I completely missed this earlier. Listening to the songs now, but I am a fan of Themselves, 13 & god, and Notwist, so I expect to enjoy this.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris says:

There’s been a lot of thought-provoking content on the site recently, people seem to be enjoying a burst of productivity (I am WAY behind, there are quite a few posts/comments I still want to read), it’s no surprise this one slipped on by.

I got to see Notwist in 2003 in Germany and they were excellent. I’ve mentioned before that I think it’s pretty hard to satisfyingly mix rock and electronic/dance musics, but Notwist (and related bands) do, IMO.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph says:

The place has been lively, lately. I admit, I was mostly wrong about what the new design would do to the sub-blogs that are no longer sub, but it does make what I think of as enjoyment posts like this one get lost a bit.

I’ve never seen Notwist, and actually discovered them because of 13 & god, which I knew because of Themselves. They are definitely satisfying. I love that they sound like they may have learned English by listening to American rock songs.

I think I may have linked it in comments before, but this is my favorite 13 & god song, and it perfectly captures the weirdness of Doseone. The slow build up, which lasts for almost 90 seconds, of the piano and a sound almost like sandpaper, leading to Doseone’s understatedly aggressive rapping… it’s just awesome.

[Edit… I can do that now!]: Scheiße, forgot the song:

2. Avatar Chris says:

Also, how is the Third (the Son, the Daughter, and the Third, right?)? And the Momma?Report

3. Avatar Chris says:

Listening to “One with the freaks” again. I think that may have to be one of my desert island songs (songs I’d have to have on a desert island). I dunno, it just gets me. Yes, I have been all messed up. Thank you for asking.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris says:

“Consequence” definitely gets me. “Leave me paralyzed/hypnotized, love”…man, we’ve all been there.