Phrenology!

Chris

Chris lives in Austin, TX, where he once shook Willie Nelson's hand.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

I looked up 131 Nassau St. on Google Earth. It’s a Blimpie’s Sub shop now. Rather less charming, I should say.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

So, what “scientific” concept do we believe in, quite strongly, that will look like a steaming plate of malarkey (with a side of ice-cold hooey) in 150 or so years?Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

I imagine much of my field.

“Brains as digital computers? How quaint!”Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Glyph

“They honestly thought that they provided nutrients to themselves via the barbaric practice of “eating”, rather than how they meditated on the universe! It’s a wonder they didn’t all die!”Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Glyph

I’d guess that we’re going to find out that a lot more of us is hardwired than we think*, and so a lot of psychology is going to change.

* – Which, as someone that has historically had a higher locus-of-control, would break my heart.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Will Truman

One of the things we’ve learned in the last 50 years, maybe the last century, is just how little conscious control we have over our mental processes. I don’t mean in a Freudian, Jungian, or Lacanian sense (though I find all three intriguing), but in a “it just happens below the level of awareness in ways that we can only gleam through heterophenomenology” (to use a long word) sense. I suspect that over the next 50 years, this will become even more apparent, and regardless of what we learn about the extent to which we’re hard-wired, it will show us that even what we learn and how it affects our thinking is pretty much outside of our control.

Maybe it will turn out that we can learn a lot about how these things work by feeling bumps on people’s heads.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Will Truman

Along these lines, given that most philosophies of education are less than 150 years old, I have a feeling things will be very, very different in another 150 years.

Other things I could see looking barbaric:
        – Any medical procedure that causes pain (e.g., needles)
        – Our pisspoor methods for predicting the weather (if we don’t have outright control over it, we’ll be much better at predicting it)
        – Our general notion of animal sentience (and perhaps by that time, plant sentience)Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Will Truman

Oh man, the weather’s a good one. “Meteorology was like phrenology, but for physics.”Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Will Truman

Chris,
        Some people are better at gleaning information from subconscious processes than others. A whole hell of a lot can be done with training…Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Will Truman

Kazzy,
        We have gotten better with the weather, by leaps and bounds.
        Of course, I’m in the Allegheny Front, so what the hell do I know?
        The folks down in WV tell ya a different story (other than it never rains on North Fork).Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Glyph

All the social sciences will be unrecognizable, economics and psychology in particular. Transplanting organs, as opposed to growing new ones, will seem barbaric. Easy, foolproof temporary sterility will make our culture wars about abortion sound like a moral debate between the Huns and the Mongols.

And controlled fusion will only be 25 years away.Report

3. Avatar Cascadian

Please let it be dentistry.Report