Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Patrick

Poker, the family fantasy football draft, and studying.

43 days to go.Report

2. Avatar Cascadian

The better half goes on three weeks vacation starting tomorrow. Depending on the weather we’ll either be mountain biking or hiking. Our Whistler passes work in the summer. On hot days it is nice to hop on the chair and head for the alpine where it’s a good 10-15 degrees cooler. There are some charming hiking trails with incredible views and one of my favorite restaurants Christine’s.
    Crankworks is a huge downhill bike festival that starts this weekend in Whistler. We don’t often do the down hill stuff and will certainly be avoiding it during the festival but it’s pretty fun. The place is a zoo. There are a few stages with music throughout the day and its fun to watch the participants do huge jumps at the base of the mountain. We’ll enjoy the energy but escape to the less crowded cross country trails at Lost Lake.Report

3. Avatar Chris

Three day weekends rock!

With my two day weekend, I think we’re going to the movies, though what movie I don’t know. Also, swimming, because it’s the time of the summer when Hell rises to just beneath the surface of Texas and the temperature approaches that of the center of the sun.Report

4. Avatar dexter

I am going to spend several minutes trying to stop feeling sorry for Cascadian because the “hot days” in the Canadian Rockies make him head for the hills. Poor guy, having to live in the middle of some of the most beautiful mountains on the planet.
    The rest of the time I will spend pulling the way past prime summer crops to get the beds ready for the fall planting.Report

5. Avatar Damon

Tis better to be awoken by a furball than an beeping alarm any day. Even if that alarm goes off at 1AM, 4AM, and 5AM. The soothing power of a purring feline is quite compelling and relaxing.

That being said, the little minx always wakes me up out of REM sleep.

I’m going hiking this weekend, cleaning the house, and hopefully, arranging a hot date.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Damon

It’s true – and it’s even nicer when they snuggle up to help you sleep.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Damon

In grad school, my wife used to fairly often wake up late to find her alarm clock on the floor with the battery fallen out. She’d rush out of the house, and arrive late to her first class of the day. The clock was always stopped right at the time she’d set the alarm, so she figured she must have been fumbling about half asleep when the alarm went off

One morning she happened to wake up just before the alarm. This clock made a quite ‘click’ sound a second or so before the alarm went off – whereupon the cat got up from where it was sleeping, walked over to the bedside table, knocked the clock on the floor (knocking out the battery), and curled back up to sleep.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Damon

My theory has always been that cats are just waiting around for an opportunity to eat their human “owners,” and their waking you up in the morning is really just checking to see whether you’re sufficiently unconscious for them to dig in.Report

6. Avatar Reformed Republican

This was supposed to be a board game weekend, but it looks like everyone is unavailable. If that falls through, I will wing it. Regardless, I will probably be wrapping up Series 7 of Doctor Who, playing some DDO, and doing the usual weekend chores.Report

7. Avatar dragonfrog

Friend’s birthday party on Saturday, consisting of beer and snacks around a fire in the yard.

I’ll be volunteering at the community bike workshop a few hour both days. I hope to make some progress on a personal project on Sunday after my shift – a friend and I are building a pedal powered apple crusher, hoping to have a working cider press system by the time we’re awash in apples in a month or so.

The missus and sprog head home for a week-long visit with our families on Saturday night, and I’ll follow Sunday night.Report

8. Avatar Mad Rocket Scientist

Dinner plans with friends tomorrow (pizza & beer!).

Sunday I am taking a friend to the range. She got burgled a few weeks back & is considering getting a gun, so I offered to teach her the basics & offer a little training to get her started (& let her test fire some of my guns while trying out some of the range rentals). Might be going out into the wilderness so she can try the 12 gauge.

And yes, I fully intend to make sure she understands the gravity of what she is considering, the fact she needs to get secure storage for any gun she buys, as well as the potential legal pitfalls of going down this path (stuff like, despite what Joe Biden says, warning shots are never legal!; etc.)Report

9. Avatar Will Truman

Returning home (our new home home) tomorrow. Early tomorrow. Picking up the dog. Unpacking.Report

10. Avatar Slade the Leveller

Adirondack chair building Saturday. Driving to the Twin Cities on Sunday with my son to check out the U. of Minnesota. That means I get to eat at Tavern on Grand for dinner. Mmmm, walleye sandwich.Report

11. Avatar Mike Dwyer

The primary goal for this weekend is to get an early start on our fall prep list. With hunting season getting very close there are a million nagging projects around the house that need my attention. A bedroom door with a loose hinge, pressure-washing the side of the house, cleaning the windows in our 25-foot great room (I REALLY hate getting up on tall ladders). The goal will be to have all of my handyman projects done and the house 90% ready for winter by October 1st.

Beyond that, I’m also trying to get the DVR ready for fall. We let it get overly-full during the spring and with a busy summer there are still a lot of shows taunting me every time I look at it. So last night I watched three glorious hours of TV, which I haven’t done in a long time. More today and tomorrow.

Last night we ate an embarrassing amount of sushi at our favorite place up the street. Tonight it’s more seafood at a popular place on the river. Something about summer just makes me want to eat fish all the time.Report