Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Glyph

We’ll see if I can motivate myself to watch the There Will Be Blood* disc on the shelf from Netflix, or burn a few Wilfred‘s off the DVR (I keep deciding I am done with the show, then they either have a good dog joke, or a strange comedic concept pop up).

* It doesn’t help my motivation that my friend suggested that it should’ve been titled There Will Be Blood…And You Will Be Bored.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

I saw There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men at the same theater, within a short period of time. Both times the theater was packed, and both times, the audience uttered a groan when the movie ended. I’d never seen that before, and haven’t seen it since.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

I liked No Country, so maybe that’s a good sign.

OTOH, it will take a lot for me to forgive Magnolia.Report

• Avatar greginak in reply to Chris

TWBB was overrated mostly because the end sort of plopped. It was mostly a show of how amazingly Day-Lewis can inhabit some real nutcases well. But it didn’t go anywhere.

NCOM was on of those movies where people thought they were watching one kind of movie but were really watching something else.Report

• Avatar dhex in reply to Chris

at the end of no country a woman in the audience stood up and yelled “that’s it?!?!”Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Chris

NCFOM is just a weird movie, structurally. I mean, the protagonist dies off screen with a bunch of movie left. It was one of those movies that, after it was over, I thought to myself, “I think I enjoyed that, but I don’t need to enjoy it again.”

TWBBI got totally caught up in DDL’s performance, and pretty much lost the story altogether, to the extent that there was one. I rewatched it from the comfort of my couch maybe a year and a half later, and fell asleep.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Chris

That was the year for noir. Those two, 3:10 to Yuma, Michael Clayton, Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead. There hasn’t been anything like it since.Report

• Avatar greginak in reply to Chris

Well what was weird about NCFOM is that it wasn’t really a movie about the protagonist per se. Or that Tommy Lee was the heart of the movie so it made sense to end on him. People watched it like a caper flick or straight crime drama when it was a more existential, ambiguous and about the time period then anything else.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Chris

It’s a weird thing to say, I know, but the film might have worked better overall if Javier Bardem hadn’t been so compelling. As it was, every minute without either Bardem or the imminent threat of Bardem seemed unimportant.Report

2. Avatar Maribou

I’M GOING TO NEW ZEALAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!

!Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Maribou

I assume that when you get back, we’re going to see a post with all sorts of lovely pictures.

Have fun. Watch out for those kiwis. I heard they bite.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Chris

I suspect you assume wrongly, since I promised such a post on my livejournal when I went to London in 2006, and I *still* haven’t written one. I have to watch myself when travelling, or I will become so involved in properly communicating what I’m experiencing that I stop properly experiencing it. Especially when it comes to taking photos.

But the having fun part, I will surely do!Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Maribou

Maribou wins.

Check local concert listings: if The Clean, The Bats or The Chills are playing anywhere, go for me.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Glyph

Duly noted.

Although it seems like The Clean aren’t performing (and live in Dunedin which is very far away from where I will be, The Chills are also in Dunedin, and haven’t gigged since 2012, and The Bats are on American tour right now. I don’t know where you live but you might want to take a look at the tour listings on their website and see if any of those places are near you!Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

Thanks! Nobody ever comes where I live 🙁

I got to see The Clean once; the people I was with were dragging behind, and I told them to catch up when they could, the chance that I’d ever get another chance later to see a semi-obscure NZ band was too small.

I made the right choice (though some of them showed up midway through the show). It was GLORIOUS.Report

• Avatar J@m3z Aitch in reply to Maribou

And I’m driving I80 through Illinois!!!!!!!

Yeah, that doesn’t sound remotely as good, does it? Let the fervent envying commence!Report

• Avatar Cascadian in reply to Maribou

Oh my, I’m deeply envious. Do you get to go skiing? I’m watching all of the National teems start to leave for NZ and South America for Olympic prep. It would be fun as heck to watch them train.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Cascadian

I’m not a skier, more of a tramper really. And equally as much a sitting-in-cafes-and-listening-to-people-talk-in-unfamiliar-to-me-accents-while-I-read-books-er. 😀

Can’t wait to be near an ocean again though – has been almost a year.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Maribou

Tell Bilbo I said Hi.Report

3. Avatar James K

I’m playing at a wargaming tournament all weekend.Report

4. Avatar NewDealer

Blue Jasmine and maybe Hannah ArendtReport

5. Avatar Alan Scott

Annual Camping trip with my cousins. And the schedule is finally such that my Boyfriend can come along. Looking forward to the visit.Report

6. Avatar dragonfrog

I’m camping somewhere quite pleasant but considerably less exciting than New ZealandReport

7. Avatar Reformed Republican

No big plans this weekend. I have the last battle of Shadowrun Returns waiting for me (I died last night on my first attempt).

I might be running some DnD for my son. We started an adventure. He runs two characters, and I run two in combat. I am sure he and I will play some Borderlands 2 together.

I might help my dad install a new exhaust hood over their stove, unless he decides he is not going to do it this weekend.Report

8. Avatar LeeEsq