Monday Trivia #124 – Mo Wins!

Kazzy

One man. Two boys. Twelve kids.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

My initial guess was beverage container deposits I know relatively few states have these. But I see that New York’s is the same as California’s — five cents for a twelve-ounce aluminum can. The highest one is Michigan, at ten cents. And Pennsylvania doesn’t have one at all.

So that isn’t right, based on Kazzy’s list.

So my new guess will be setting for television series on network or basic cable with original episodes being currently broadcast, with misgivings about the relative placements of Pennsylvania and D.C.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Burt Likko

Alberta is the only province with deposits on milk containers – both the waxed cardboard cartons, and the plastic bottles and jugs. 10c on a liter or less, 25c on larger ones, so it actually starts to be a meaningful amount.Report

2. Avatar Mo

Not a guess, but it loioks like Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, North Carolina, Oregon, Washington are probably the states with just one of these.Report

3. Avatar Mark Thompson

100 largest libraries in North America?Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

Number of hip-hop artists shot.Report

5. Avatar Brent S.

Self-governing unincorporated townships?Report

6. Avatar Kazzy

Tuesday Hint: New York has 52, Michigan has 18, Florida has 9, DC has 5. Generally speaking, having more of these is better than having fewer.Report

7. Avatar Kazzy

Wednesday Hint: There will be one more of these by the end of 2013. There will be an additional 4 (beyond the 1 this year) by the end of 2014.Report

8. Avatar Mo

Buildings taller than X ft in North America?Report

9. Avatar Kazzy

Late Wednesday Hint: Maryland, Florida, and Illinois each added one of these earlier this year.Report

10. Avatar Kazzy

Thursday Hint: It is yet to be determined where the fourth one of these for the year will appear. Right now, it appears that Massachusetts, Florida, Michigan, California, Missouri, and (surprisingly) Pennsylvania are front runners.Report

11. Avatar Peter

I figured it out,albeit with another person’s help. The answer was so obvious I couldn’t believe I hadn’t gotten it right away.Report

12. Avatar ScarletNumber

Flag on the question.

You seem to have put NJ @ 3. However, the Giants won all 4 of their Super Bowls while playing in the Garden State.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to ScarletNumber

Argh… you’re right, Scarlet. I checked that the ‘Skins were still in DC during theirs but totally flubbed on the Giants and NJ. Oi. Would you have gotten it if the list reflected this? With the powers that be’s permission, I’m happy to award partial credit for identifying the error.

NY would remain #1, with 48, and NJ would jump into a tie with Ohio, Maryland, and Minnesota with 7.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Kazzy

As someone who refuses to support any teams that fraudulently misrepresent their state of residence, this error is unforgivable and unacceptable. I demand that you lose posting privileges for your offensive and elitist support for the continued oppression of New Jersey by New York City.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Kazzy

You’d think Jersey would at least get to claim one of the two teams.I mean, both would be semi-alliterative!Report

• Avatar ScarletNumber in reply to Kazzy

LOL No, I was clueless anyway. I was just surprised to see NJ so low. I knew the Broncos won 2 and the Avalanche won 1, so NJ had to come first.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Kazzy

I’d rather the both of them move up to Albany so we can be done with their nonsense. I want no part of those clown franchises.

Now, back to figuring out how my team is going to deal with the new hyper speed offense. Oh, and the racism.Report

• Avatar ScarletNumber in reply to Kazzy

@mark-thompson Who do you root for in the NFL then? The Iggles? The Cowboys are the 4th most popular team in NJ, but they don’t play in Dallas per se.

@will-truman The only team that has our name in it is the Devils. It isn’t alliterative but the team is named after a local legend. FunFact: when headlines are short, the Giants are sometimes referred to as the Jints.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Kazzy

NY and DC present interesting circumstances. A number of teams play just outside the cities whose name they bear. This makes sense in many cases, as land is more available and cheaper outside of the city than in. Most of the stadiums that are in downtown areas are the older ones or rebuilds of the older ones.

But NY’s most immediate and accessible space is a different state. And DC doesn’t even have a state.

I don’t mind Dallas calling itself Dallas despite playing outside the city. It does seem silly for a New York team to be based in a different state.

I will say I was tempted to give the Patriots titles to Maine. Fuck those guys.Report

• Avatar ScarletNumber in reply to Kazzy

@kazzy You could argue for Rhode Island, since Foxborough is closer to Providence than it is to Boston.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Kazzy

Yea, but fuck Mainers, too.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Kazzy

Part of having internalized the oppression of New York is that I only root for New York teams, of which only one exists in the NFL.

(Also, I was born in the city of that one team and have family roots there).Report

• Avatar ScarletNumber in reply to Kazzy

@mark-thompson You sound like Mario Cuomo now. Besides, the Bills don’t play in Buffalo per se.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Kazzy

Sure, but they at least don’t say they’re from a different state.Report