Stupid Tuesday questions, Jaybird edition

Russell Saunders

Russell Saunders is the ridiculously flimsy pseudonym of a pediatrician in New England. He has a husband, three sons, daughter, cat and dog, though not in that order. He enjoys reading, running and cooking. He can be contacted at blindeddoc using his Gmail account. Twitter types can follow him @russellsaunder1.

1. Avatar Glyph

Does the site being wonky yesterday count? How was I supposed to make terrible puns to unsuspecting, undeserving strangers?

Guess I’ll have to make twice as many today.Report

2. Avatar Chris

When your problem is that your digital display for your satellite radio system in your car is showing you a song while you’re listening to another song on terrestrial radio, and this creates a Burdidan’s Ass scenario, I think we’ve surpassed first world problems (by the way, I cannot tell you how psyched I am that I get to say “Buridan’s Ass” for the second time in like two weeks on this blog).

My first world problems generally concern technology as well, though. “Mother fishin’ heck, once again the microwave has not fully popped the popcorn!” “Ugh, SPSS is taking up all of the computer’s resources. I can’t do anything on this dang computer now except comment on Russell’s posts!”Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to Chris

That’s not a Buridan’s Ass problem. The ass can’t decide. You’ve reached the Kirby Threshold of Overcivilisation. Kirby, a guy I worked with, went with me to the grocery store at lunch: we liked the deli sandwiches there. Kirby got to the front door and expected the proximity sensor to open it for him. He stood there, paralysed, until my boss, Peter, pushed it open for him, calling this the Kirby Threshold.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to BlaiseP

I’m pretty sure what he just described was not being able to decide.Report

• Avatar Marchmaine in reply to BlaiseP

Heh, similarly, my father, brother, and myself were in a car with automatic locks. We’re trained that the locks “pop” when the car goes into park.

It was a hot summer’s day and we all shared a genuine moment of panic – eyes darting from window to sun to kin – when we stopped, put the car into park and nothing happened. Silence. Trapped.

I won’t disclose *exactly* how long it took for my brother to reach over and manually unlock his door; I’ll only say that it took long enough for me to conceive and discard several life saving MacGyver ideas involving Altoids a tire pressure gauge, and a cell phone recharger. Sadly, starting the car and rolling down the window was not even on the short list.Report

• Avatar Russell Saunders in reply to Chris

Indeed, being trapped in the comments of my posts is a nightmare of Sartre-esque proportions.

And I am delighted that I have afforded you the opportunity to reference Buridan’s Ass once again, and am comfortable being the ass in this scenario.Report

3. Avatar aaron david

The fact that I have both an Android, and and iPhone (work phone) and can choose between them. That is a lot of computing power that I can say “meh” to.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to aaron david

So I’m writing this Android app for ornithologists. Turns out pretty much everyone on the ornithologist team has an iPhone. We worked out the cost of getting a developer license for Apple — and a dev box — and all the wahallah associated with deploying it — and decided it would be cheaper and simpler to just issue a handful of Android hand-helds with no phone service, just wireless access, and put them in the field. All I need is the GPS and bearing stuff anyway, the collection device won’t be used many places with data or even service anyway.

That just blew me away, to realise the cost of superb hardware is now so cheap people can make such a decision.Report

4. Avatar LeeEsq

My first world problem is when I can’t find a streaming ‘ve tree sion of an old movie I want to see and have to track down a DVD.Report

5. Avatar NewDealer

The word “hella” still annoys me after 5 years in the Bay Area.Report

6. Avatar Kazzy

Our master (!!!) bathroom is situated such that it doesn’t have any direct heat sources. But it is relatively small and connects two rooms so it is usually warm enough. However, on some wintery mornings, it can be a tad chilly. Fortunately, the previous owners installed this little magical toe warmer under the sink, that blows warm air onto one’s tootsies while at the vanity.

But every now and then, it’s just a bit too warm. And my feet get a wee bit sweaty. Or just hot. And I complain about this. Sometimes quite loudly.Report

7. Avatar Dan Miller

My office gym doesn’t have towel service.Report

8. Avatar Kazzy

Oooo… I’m going to go for a double-whammy here… a humblebrag about a first world problem.

So, Zazzy and I have been very fortunate when it comes to building a life for ourselves. She did ROTC, meaning she graduated college free of debt and my grandmother set up an trust for education expenses before passing, meaning I got my undergrad and graduate degree for a few thousand dollars, which I was able to pay out of pocket. We’re both savers and not big spenders, so we were able to build up quite a nest egg, especially while she was in Kuwait. We’ve had consistent employment that (at last check) put us in the 87% percentile for income. We struck while the market was right and were able to buy a beautiful home on a great piece of property for very little down (VA loan). Zazzy then took a seasonal position for 6 weeks at Pottery Barn because she loves their stuff and between her employee discount and the fact that her particular store was going out of business, we furnished our home for pennies on the dollar.

When people visit, they are struck by how well we have it: a four bedroom home on an acre of property backed up to the woods; a mother-in-law apartment converted to a “man cave” with a flat screen, surround sound, wet bar, and full suite of exercise equipment; two cars; a renovated (by the prior owners) kitchen; beautiful furniture. And all this acquired by a teacher and a nurse.

Sometimes, this makes us feel guilty. “Should we lie and say you won a bunch of money gambling?” Zazzy wonders. And at that precise moment, when we start to feel bad for ourselves about how we have to brush off the compliments on our beautiful home and happy life…. it is at that moment that I might as well be kicking starving children in the teeth, I’m such an awful human being.Report

9. Avatar greginak

I’m slightly bothered that the pic on top of this post is different from the pic it shows on the main page. Its like false advertising. I mean, seriously, pic a pic and go with it.Report

10. Avatar Kyle Cupp

Sometimes I wish that I could have all conversations about a post I’ve written taking place in one location rather than at several (e.g. the comments, Facebook, Twitter).Report

11. Avatar Pinky

My local Best Buy only has Civilization V, but I’ve heard on the League that Civ IV is better. Should I order it online, or take a gamble that Civ V is worth playing? Would I be missing out on some cool features of Civ IV? But what if Civ V has better graphics or something?Report

12. Avatar Boegiboe

I like to write with liquid ink, but if you take a liquid-ink pen on an airplane, the pressure sucks the ink out of the pen in into the cap, so I get ink all over my fingers if I forget this fact. So I have to use gel ink or felt-tips. Yuck.Report

13. Avatar Burt Likko

DirecTV offers me hundreds of channels of programming, 24 hours a day. And I can’t find anything I want to watch.Report

14. Avatar NewDealer

Here is a good one. As I get older, I find it gets exponentially harder to find a pair of sneakers that I like.

Sneakers now seem to come in two flavors:

1. Too Young and/or Too Flashy. Chucks come in this category usually.

2. Too suburban dad (no offense) but I’m not a dad or suburban (yet), I can’t bring myself to wear a pair of New Balances with a button down shirt and jeans. New Balances are for the gym/sports, not every day wear.

There are sneakers I like but they tend to be expensive and while I am always willing to pay for quality, my brain still has a barrier that says anything over 200 dollars for a pair of sneakers is silly. This is a good pair of sneakers because it is subtle, looks comfortable, and is adult without being “fashion-free dad” in appearance:

But I can’t bring myself to spend 555 dollars on a pair of sneakers. Maybe if they go on ultra-reduction sale down the road……Report

15. Avatar Russell M

I have whined from time to time that my internet is to slow to allow me to both play STO and watch netflix through my x-box at the same time. then i remembered there are people who dont even have netflix subs. and felt bad.Report

16. Avatar NewDealer

Kim,

A good shoe can be rehealed and look good for years. I had a pair of black boots that lasted over thirteen years.

I’m very good at keeping stuff in good condition.Report

17. Avatar Kim

NewDealer,
    A “good shoe” that can be rehealed is probably one you never take through a stream. How often did you go over a boulder in those black boots?

“Keeping stuff in good condition” == “not using it” in my book.Report

18. Avatar NewDealer

Kim

Different lifestyles. Just because I am not going through streams on hikes, does not mean, I am not using my boots and shoes. I walk all the time and almost everywhere in cities.Report

19. Avatar Kim

Newdealer,
    how often do you walk 6 miles roundtrip?Report

20. Avatar Maribou

I get really annoyed when the candy in the candy jar is crap, ie, some kind of candy I don’t like.

But even MORE so, I get annoyed when other people are annoyed about the candy.

So it has that special hypocritical tinge.

(NB I don’t actually COMPLAIN. Whereas they DO. often without ever buying any candy themselves.)

(Yes, I realize this comment just gets more and more pathetic.)Report