Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar NewDealer says:

Friday: Checking out a new BBQ joint with friends

Saturday: Another set of friends are getting married

Sunday: Networking with the American Association of Justice (aka The Tort Lawyers!)Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Saturday: Another set of friends are getting married

“Pair” of friends, or are the slippery slope people right already?Report

3. Avatar Chris says:

Taking my son and his little brother, who turned 5 today, to the beach Saturday. Hoping not to get sun burned or stung by jelly fish, both of which I seem to manage to do every time I go to the beach.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

What beach do you go to? I was under the impression that Austinians just went tubing or to that big lake/pool with the “poop chute”.Report

4. Avatar aaron david says:

Looks like an old friend is fairly close by this weekend (down from Portland, doing some spec work in SJ), so we are trying to find a way to get together.Report

5. Going to the Jersey Shore for the first time since Sandy; staying in Brigantine and taking the Five Year Old and her cousin to Margate to see Lucy the Elephant. Letting the in-laws watch the kids Saturday night so The Wife and I can go to our favorite restaurant (The Knife and Fork) in Atlantic City. Coming back Monday then getting ready for a business trip to either Montana or Eastern Washington (depending on the whims of the airline flight schedules).Report

• Avatar greginak says:

I semi lived in Margate and Brig for a couple years while my , then gf worked in AC. Fun times. Just please tell me you aren’t going in the water near AC.Report

• How near AC constitutes “near”? The place we always go is mid-island on Brig.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

The Brig beach is really nice. Its probably better there. I heard from a guy who lived in AC, many years ago, that a lot sewage actually empties right near the AC beach. Down Brig its probably better. He was referring to the beaches by the casinos. We had a house right near the beach at the end of the town so i used to like to walk down the beach. Very pretty although i’m not much of a beach person.Report

6. Avatar Adam says:

Studying for the bar. Bonus points: guess what my plans for next weekend are!Report

• Maniacally unleashing a slew of expletives at an allegedly inanimate Barbri book?

The good news is that in two weeks you’ll presumably be sitting AT the bar rather than studying for it.Report

• Avatar Adam says:

This is a more vivid version of what I was going to say, which was “exactly the same thing, but with way more swearing.”Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Oh, dear. It’s far too late to save you, isn’t it? If you’re in it this deep, you might as well see it through. May all the essays be in your best subjects!Report

• Avatar Adam says:

My thanks, and let me just note that I’ve always enjoyed your legal posts since I discovered the site.

Side note: thankfully, my state just switched the bar exam, from a format with 12 essays and nothing else, to the UBE, which is half multiple choice and half essays, and part of the essay portion is basically just an issue spotter where they give you the law. I could not possibly be happier about this.Report

7. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

I have been kind of lazy this week (Borderlands 2), so there will be a heavy amount of focused guitar practice to make up for neglecting it. There will also be some movie watching, and maybe some LoTR Living Card Game solo play.Report

8. Avatar Johanna says:

I will be spending the weekend visiting with family and childhood friends while James slaves away in the hot sun fending off ravenous mosquitos fixing our house.Report

9. Avatar Kazzy says:

If all goes according to plan, I will be hitting a water park on Sunday… FINALLY! For several years now, I have attempted to go to a water park on my birthday, which is later in the summer. Plans have been derailed by, among other things, a hurricane and a pregnancy (Pregnicane? YES… new SciFi movie!). Right now, all seems a go for Sunday.

In addition to that, we’re going to a friend’s going away party on Saturday.

Regarding stand up, what makes it uncomfortable for you, Jay? Zazzy is deftly afraid to go, because her anxiety will act up if either the comic sucks OR if an audience member gets picked on too fiercely. Should that audience member be her, she’ll just curl up into a ball and die. Like, literally, die. I’m going to try to get her to go see a big name comic in a big venue, where we’ll be assured he’s funny and we don’t have to worry about the guy next to us getting mocked for his sweater.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

what water park kazzy?
      aren’t you worried the water will be boiling?Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

Hitting Splashtown (or is it Splashdown?) Beach. I’ve never been, it seems smaller than most, and lacks the danger factor of Action Park, but I’ll take it. If the water is boiling, it will hopefully cut down on the lines so I can rip more slides.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

I’ve done action park but never there. Sort of funny to have a water park in a town called fishkill.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

We’ve got friends over in Fishkill who invited us for dinner and I said, “Oh, yea, definitely. Hey, on the way, why don’t we go to the water park?”

Action Park has since been shut down, sold, redone, and re-opened as Mountain Creek. I haven’t been to the water park since that happened (only the ski mountain) but it appears they took whatever steps necessary so that people would stop dying. I assume that means the Alpine Slide is no more… 🙁Report

10. Avatar greginak says:

stand up in live setting is better that on tv. granted my experience is limited, i think i’ve been to a stand up show three times in my life and one of those was george carlin ( yes he was abdomen splitting funny). one other time was after work with some friends. but the live experience does help. the last time was few years ago in Houston with my niece. one of the comics, who was reasonably funny, talked quite a bit about his recent success of being in a subway commercial. that was funnier that it sounds although not necessarily in the way the comic thought it was funny.Report

11. Avatar Maribou says:

tonight was pretty good, and we got Important News from our friends, so that was cool.

tomorrow is resting. and gaming.

Sunday I’m marching with my workplace in our local Pride Parade. There are only like 10 people from our school marching, and 4 of them are people I like and don’t see enough of, so that should be cool. (The other 6 I just don’t particularly know.)

Then I’m making Jay shave my head.

Monday I have to go to the dentist, but not until 2 – so there will be major self-indulgence that morning. Monday night, we get to watch wrestling with Dman and his family.

Somewhere in there I should start thinking about NZ logistics, as in WHAT DO I PACK. Only 2 weekends left before I go, and weekend after next is already very full.Report