You Know Me

Michael Drew

Michael Drew is a Wisconsinite currently residing in Saint Paul, Minnesota. He enjoys thinking and writing about politics, history, and philosophy, listening to music and podcasts of all kinds, watching and occasionally playing sports, and playing the cello.

1. Avatar Michael Drew says:

Already I’m making mistakes. This is a blog with an international group of contributors and commenters; to ever refer to “this country” as though this blog had less to do with countries other than the U.S is wrong. I have a fascination with the diversity in my native United States. I have an unfortunate lack of familiarity with the diversity and cultures of a lot of other countries, including our sisters and brothers to the north. Increasing that understanding is something else I hope to gain from becoming more fully associated with this venture.Report

2. Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Mike, welcome. This is indeed long overdue. I’m looking forward to the bloggy dance/battle (dance battle?) continuing on the main page in addition to the comments.Report

• Avatar Michael Drew says:

Thanks, CC. I’m going to try to make it a bit more dance-like and less battle-like now that my actions reflect on the site. (Though my foray into the Zimmerman thread probably reflects more, and what I hope to be some of the last, of the previous mentality.)Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Actually, the more I think about it… I think you (and the rest of us as well) should really be aiming for dance battle. Service is the key: we must both serve and get served in order to advance the conversation through the profound powers of blogging.Report

3. Avatar Kazzy says:

Welcome, brother. When should we schedule the swirly? Or do you want to be surprised?Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Welcome. A blog can never have too many Mikes.Report

5. Avatar aaron david says:

Very nice, I always enjoy your comments.Report

6. “…or else your League experience must be quite unusual in that you rarely read the comment threads (which in the case of this blog would be sort of a sad state of affairs): I’m Mike Drew!”

Have you met Conor?

…and welcome! Finally!Report

• Avatar Michael Drew says:

Thank you! I have interacted with Conor in the comments, I believe…. Perhaps I’m mistaken about that.

In any case, to each his or her own in his or her LoOG experience! Judge not lest ye be judged, I say to me.Report

• I believe that Conor has sworn a blood oath to never read another Internet comment again in his life, so I suspect it must have been someone else.Report

• Yeah, I was just having a little fun.

Though it’s interesting that Conor claims to never read comments, yet he *knows* that comment sections are a turgid swamp. Something’s fishy…Report

• Avatar Marchmaine says:

Yes, he should be more me and the legions like me that have sworn never to read an Internet Blog Post or Article, yet comment with reckless certitude.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

That’s an excellent point. Since I waste far too much time here, I’m going to start commenting based purely on titles.

Mr. Drew, you are no Ring Lardner.Report

• Avatar Michael Drew says:

Ah, that’s right. Perhaps I did before that? I thought so, but I am fallible. In any case, whatever keeps boats afloat.Report

7. 1) Yay!

2) About time!

3) I love that band. “Hurry Hurry” is a great song, too.Report

8. Avatar Mad Rocket Scientist says:

Finally! You can push you god-awful, long winded comments to the front page where they belong!

Welcome, I look forward to enthusiastically arguing with you!Report

9. About fishin’ time! (Welcome!)

For those who are unaware, Michael’s been a regular almost since we started this place.Report

10. Avatar North says:

Congrats! There’s only room on the slack bus for me so I’m delighted you finally got onto the League’s main roster.Report

11. Avatar zic says:

Given your gravitar, I presume you’re here to shield us.

Thank you, sir.Report

12. Avatar James Hanley says:

Hooray.Report

13. Avatar Murali says:

Sorry I’m late but welcome!Report

14. Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

This is an attempt at a test comment.Report

15. Avatar Michael Drew says:

Whew! What an eventful first few days as a full member of the not-League of Ordinary Women and Men!Report

16. There is significantly a bundle to know about this. I reckon that you made certain nice factors in characteristics also.Report

17. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

I’m late in offering a welcome but always glad to have another Mike aboard.

I didn’t know you were from Madison. One of my favorite towns in the US. I have enjoyed many a good beer and cheese curd there. I also saw Tenacious D open for Weezer there in 2003 and it still ranks in my top 5 all time concerts. Wisconsin is on the short list of states I would move to if ever asked to leave KY.

Looking forward to reading more of your stuff.Report

• Avatar Michael Drew says:

Thanks, Mike.

I’m happy to hear that you have enjoyed yourself in Madison. If that part of the country hadn’t been the site for the most recent Leaguefest I’d probably be lobbying for it pretty heavily for an upcoming year. If you happen to come through ever, give me a heads up and maybe I can meet you for a brew and a curd. That goes for everyone, and for now it goes for anyone coming through the Twin Cities area, too.

As to the forthcoming posts, I’m looking forward to writing them, too. 🙂Report