Walkin’ Jukebox And Open Thread

Jaybird

1. Avatar J@m3z Aitch says:

I don’t get the picture. Were you one of those poor kids whose overly protective mothers make them wear bike helmets when they’re walking around the block?Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Heh… I didn’t pick it. Is it a race-walking helmet? I remember they wore something like that on the race-walking episode of Malcolm in the Middle.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

“Overly protective”? From what I understand, *NOT* making your kid wear a bike helmet these days is tantamount to child abuse.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

As a mandated reporter, I’ve already got Hanley’s name into the Feds for allowing his daughters to swim without first putting them in a submarine.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

I’d certainly report any parent who let their child read ayn rand.Report

• Avatar J@m3z Aitch says:

Because no matter what the subject is, a gratuitous and irrelevant swipe at those we dislike is always called for.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

You mean like calling all East Coast liberals perverts, just a thread or three ago?

Wait, I think THAT was just teasing an online friend, not a “gratuitous and irrelevant swipe at disliked persons.”

I just can’t tell the difference anymore…

I’d like to take this opportunity to say in all sincerity, to all my fellow Americans here – the liberal pinkos, the rightwing fascists, and the overly-sensitive libertarians: y’all are, as a group, the most infuriating, annoying, intelligent, pedantic, enlightening, frustrating, and funny people I’ve ever loved online.

In short, you’re like family, and you drive me predictably crazy.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL!

Even you poor saps who aren’t American 😉Report

• Avatar greginak says:

I’ve never been so insulted in my life Glyph…..How dare you?? Well okay there was that one time i was more insulted. Oh and that other time and i guess just about everyday from my peers from ages 12 through 17, but other than those times i’ve never been more insulted. Of course leaving out all the insults at work and when playing hockey. Other than all those things what you’ve said is the worst ever.

Have a Festive and peaceful fourth with the optimal amount of crazy.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

I’m sorry, I though t we were using the internet.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

When I did a lot more bicycling around Elgin IL, there was a PACE bus I named Christine, for the car from the Stephen King book. Every time I’d be going down Route 25, this bus would attempt to run me off the road. I put a good rear view mirror on my helmet and it saved my life, more than once.

But Christine the Bus did manage to almost get me. Off the road I went, into gravel. Broke my helmet. I’ll never ride a bicycle without a helmet again…..Report

2. Avatar Rufus F. says:

I love walking. All I can say for sure about it is that there is a life stage in which you have to leave behind Converse All Stars forever. Clearly, the Ramones did not do a lot of walking.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Ugh, I miss my All Stars. Now it’s Sketchers and sandals for me. Sandals are pretty much a necessity for summer walking here.Report

• Avatar zic says:

Have you tried skate shoes? (Skate board shoes, that is.)Report

• Avatar zic says:

I learned from the younger sprout, who would literally burn through clothing doing the stuff he did: clothes made for riding sports — snowboard or skateboard — are made tough and last. I objected to the expense, and discovered it was actually cheaper. Plus they often had some built-in protective function and very cool hidden pockets.

As he grew and went from the men’s S to M to L to XL over his teen years, I inherited the many of the outgrowns; and they still hold up.Report

• Avatar Stillwater says:

Heh. I wore AllStars from all the way thru High School. Loved ’em. Then I discovered comfortable shoes.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird says:

So I picked up Civ IV.

The last time I played Civilization, it didn’t have a number after it.

What should I do to start with? Extra large? Extra small? Ice Age? Tropical?Report