Best Video Game Ever Series

Kyle Cupp

Kyle Cupp is a freelance writer who blogs about culture, philosophy, politics, postmodernism, and religion. He is a inactive to the group Catholic blog Vox Nova. Kyle lives with his wife, son, and daughter in North Texas. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Avatar Kimsie says:

Too many to choose from.
    Seriously.Report

2. Avatar James K says:

I’ll be writing a post on Bastion.Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I might try to make the case that the best were the kind you had to play at 7-11 for a quarter. Asteroids, Spy Hunter, etc.Report

• Avatar trizzlor in reply to Tod Kelly says:

#SlatePitches:
      1. “You’ll never guess who spawned the best video games ever (HINT: they also make a mean Slurpee)”
      2. “How 7-11 saved the video game industry (and why they’ve been lost ever since)”
      3. “10 best video games that cannot be played”Report

4. Avatar Plinko says:

I put in for Minecraft.Report

5. Avatar Don Zeko says:

I could write up a case for either Portal or Civilization 4.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird says:

I will do my best to meditate upon Fallout.Report

7. Avatar maxl says:

+1 to Civilization (Civ V is a mulligan?). But Alpha Centaruri is a sort of a spin off and was brilliant.

How about the Total War series? Total War: Rome II will be the decider on that late this summer. It’s probably the only game I will buy this year. Life get’s busy.

Elder Scrolls (Bethesda’s take on Fallout was great, too) … or Baldur’s Gate? Especially if we can consider Planescape: Torment a spin off.

And just for the grognards: Europa Unversalis and it’s direct spinoff’s Crusader Kings and Victoria.Report

8. Avatar Dave says:

Seeing as my preferred gaming genre is one that I doubt anyone else here has much interest in, I would be wasting my time arguing why the IL-2 Sturmovik series is the greatest video game ever. However, it’s a great idea for a series and I’ll submit a post giving the game its due in its respective genre.

I really like Tod’s idea.Report

9. Avatar Sam says:

All of you, please stop being ridiculous: the answer is Super Metroid.

What’s next?Report

10. Avatar Damon says:

The “Thief” Series

First person “sneaker”.

I also liked Half Life, Deux Ex, and the Elder Scrolls.Report

11. Avatar Morat20 says:

Hmm.

How do you define “best”? Ground breaking, or inspiring new genres? Unique and unforgettable?

Masters of Orion 2, Civilization, Command and Conquer, Ultima Online — all created or advanced entire genres.

Baldur’s Gate revitalized an entire genre that had been effectively dustbinned. Planescape: Torment is one of the most unique and best told RPG’s I’ve ever played. Deus Ex and Half Life are excellent shooters that should be the bar to aim for.

Portal is, well, Portal and just space-awesome in every respect.

Then there’s “Bioware’s Knights of the Old Republic and after” RPGs, which are all similar and all sorta the default for excellence. Or Blizzard with Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo I and II, and World of Warcraft — again, setting a bar or creating a genre. (Admittedly, the Dune game actually came before Warcraft for RTS).

Still…Portal or Planescape Torment. The former is such a unique concept and gameplay that my wife — who loathes shooters, enjoyed the snot out of it and spent a good hour talking my ear off about how it was this excellent example of how to teach complex concepts iteratively and naturally (the fact that, well, you end up thinking 4 dimensionally and ‘with portals’ is proof of that), and the latter is such a good story and concept that people won’t stop talking about it what, 15 years later?Report

• Avatar North in reply to Morat20 says:

I don’t know if Portal is the best game, but it’s sure as hell some of the best writing in a game ever. I couldn’t stand the “playing” part but my buddies and I watched Portal and Portal II played through on Youtube like it was a movie. And it was a -damn- fine movie.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to North says:

You obviously never learned to think in Portals. Honestly, by the end of that game, I was shocked at the concepts that came rather naturally. “Oh yeah, let’s go ahead and mutilate space time. Casually. On the fly. While falling through the air, so I can use my momentum“.

It was a great game for that. By the end of the game, you were literally solving puzzles that you couldn’t even have grasped at the beginning.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Morat20 says:

Yes I’m sure it was a fine puzzle solving game; I just don’t find puzzle solving that groundbreaking. Lord knows I don’t like explicit puzzle solving games myself. Then again, since I don’t partake in explicit puzzle solving games I have no context to make a determination that the puzzles in Portal (or 2) were that amazing. So maybe it was the worlds most amazing puzzle game. It certainly was the worlds most interestingly written puzzle game.Report

• Avatar Morat20 in reply to North says:

No game is for everyone, that’s for sure. 🙂

I, for one, was personally thrilled to see a shooter turned into a complex, spatial puzzle solving game with multiple solutions. Topped with ridiculously awesome writing and voice work.

In terms of shooters — Team Fortress 2 also stands out as just ridiculously fun. 🙂Report

12. Avatar Jaybird says:

One should also nod to a particular subset of puzzle games. Games like Tetris or Bejeweled that play on the back of your eyelids right before you fall asleep.Report