Fiendish Flouridators

Patrick

Patrick is a mid-40 year old geek with an undergraduate degree in mathematics and a master's degree in Information Systems. Nothing he says here has anything to do with the official position of his employer or any other institution.

1. Avatar greginak says:

That was some quality satire which isn’t easy.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

Is this what you do with your free time, Mr Snider? I ask you honestly: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE???Report

3. Avatar NewDealer says:

Well done.

This is one issue where I get seriously frustrated with my side (though I think anti-Flouridaters exist on the left and right) Flouridation is one of the best public health measures ever developed.Report

4. Avatar James K says:

Oh that’s good.

I also think you deserve some kudos for the post title, assuming that actually is an Illuminati reference.Report

5. Avatar NewDealer says:

The URL is also pretty inspired.Report

6. Avatar James Hanley says:

What if there is something unique about Portlanders that would cause us to react adversely to doing what the Centers for Disease Control recommends all people do?

To be fair, that is not an unreasonable concern.Report

7. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

I cannot hear about fluoridation controversy without thinking of General Jack D. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove.Report

8. Avatar Fnord says:

As much as I hate to agree with Jenny McCarthy about anything, sometimes the nutbars might have a point.Report

• Avatar Patrick says:

That first link specifically talks about exposure rates well above the norm in the U.S.

Such circumstances are difficult to find in many industrialized countries, because fluoride concentrations in community water are usually no higher than 1mg/L, even when fluoride is added to water supplies as a public health measure to reduce tooth decay. Multiple epidemiological studies of developmental fluoride neurotoxicity were conducted in China because of the high fluoride concentrations that are substantially above 1 mg/L.