Sunday morning jukebox: Me and a guitar

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Murali says:

Holy Crap, I feel like the least talented/accomplished person in the league). Nice song Erik! Is there more to come?Report

2. Avatar Glyph says:

Nice! The chorus melody reminds me a little of the Shins. Hopefully that’s taken as a compliment, it’s meant as one; even though I don’t listen to the band very frequently, I always enjoy them when I do. They usually had sharp twisty melodies that are fairly unique-sounding – you can hear a little bit of the Beach Boys or Zombies or Smiths in there, but mostly they just sound like the Shins.

I blame Zach Braff, not the band, for the lowering of their critical rep. 🙂Report

• Avatar Erik says:

Thanks, Glyph! Yeah, I’m sure there’s some influence there though the Shins were never a big favorite. The thing about writing songs is you can always hear the influences through the cracks.Report

3. Avatar David Ryan says:

This is great! I hope you post more!Report

4. Avatar zic says:

Erik, did you use your new mic to record the guitar or have an internal pick-up? If the mic, then it’s a nice one; not much in the way of string squeak, etc., which is often a problem with external mics.

Nice job, thank you.

And I can’t resist: can we play swimming pool cues in the holy ghost town?Report

5. Avatar Jaybird says:

I spent too much time in college with folks who had guitars. I only listened to this with great apprehension, flashing back to open mic night.

I enjoyed it!Report

• Avatar Erik Kain says:

Ah yes. I still do an open mic on occasion and it’s pretty hit and miss. Some people are just crazy good. They make you question why so many other people are famous and they’re not. Others…eh, not so much. Glad you enjoyed it!Report

6. Avatar Miss Mary says:

I like this. More please.Report

7. Avatar Maribou says:

“Some people are just crazy good.”

Yes, yes, “some people” are. Seriously, man, I love this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.Report