May Day Jukebox and Open Thread

Jaybird

1. Avatar Jaybird

A request to make me feel old: How many of you have never heard this song before?Report

• Avatar NewDealer in reply to Jaybird

I am 32 and now this song. I’ve seen documentaries on it. I’ve used it theaterical productions (SLAVS by Tony Kushner), etc. I even know the Red Flag/

Though I suspect many people in my generation do not know this song.Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko

It’s a fine anthem, but you’ll excuse me if I can’t exactly endorse it.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

You might recall that the original anthem of the animals in Animal Farm was Beasts of England, whose tune is described as “sounding like a combination of ‘La Cucaracha’ and ‘Oh My Darling, Clementine'”. That’s Orwell making fun of the Internationale.

Of course, it dates from the benighted days before we all realized that freedom means the freedom to burn to death in a sweatshop. We were so young!Report

• Avatar NewDealer in reply to Mike Schilling

It is easy to make fun of the pompous Stalinist version form the 1930s but it was originally composed by one of the fighters for the Paris Commune in the 1870s. We can make fun of it now but to millions of worker’s in the days of Lochner it was a uniting song and a promise of a better life. Plus it was sung more up-tempo like the Read Flag.Report

4. Avatar Mad Rocket Scientist

Ooooh, open thread! Here’s a fun article to read:

Ten Responses to the Technological Unemployment ProblemReport

5. Avatar Michael Cain

It’s been a bit of a depressing May Day, sitting here watching the snow accumulate outside my office window. Music simply hasn’t helped.Report

6. Avatar Michelle

I just had to email a link to this post to my husband to remind him of the good old days, back in the former USSR. I’m sure he must have known it by heart at one time, albeit in Russian not French.Report

7. Avatar Kolohe

The Internationale is just a terrible song, musically.

Now the Soviet national anthem? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF4KiLKZ8s0