9 Things Your Local Philosopher Won’t Tell You

Rose Woodhouse

Elizabeth Picciuto was born and reared on Long Island, and, as was the custom for the time and place, got a PhD in philosophy. She freelances, mainly about disability, but once in a while about yeti. Mother to three children, one of whom is disabled, two of whom have brown eyes, three of whom are reasonable cute, you do not want to get her started talking about gardening.

1. Avatar Shazbot5 says:

10. The basic plotline of Highlander is based on a thought experiment described by Frege in “On Sense and Reference.”Report

2. Avatar Chris says:

Oh man, my totally hilarious joke (not really) about #6 got sent straight to the spam filter because there’s a philosopher whose name one can’t mention here, even in a url.Report

• Avatar Stillwater says:

9a: On the off hand chance philosophers uses X and Y as variables, the function employed invariably takes all arguments to a preferred conclusion.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

The spam filter is so AI-brilliant, you can’t even comment about little girls who live with their grandfathers on a mountain in Switzerland.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

I assume that the filter for the philosopher in question has to do with one of the first commenters ever to be banned, since he used said philosopher’s last name as his nom de commenting. I wonder what ever happened to him. I don’t know what other blogs he might comment on and ultimately be banned from.Report

3. THIS POST WAS O.G., DUDE!Report

4. Avatar KatherineMW says:

7. It may be demonstrated a priori how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

On the contrary, this cannot be demonstrated philosophically, but the answer has been determined through economic modelling.Report

5. Avatar Jaybird says:

“If a lion could speak, we could not understand him.”

This is crap. Crap crap crap.

I understand each of my cats.Report

6. THIS POST WAS O.G., DUDE!Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

And you use that dumb notation with all the dots and parenthese just to screw the rest of us up.Report

8. Avatar John Howard Griffin says:

The simulacrum is true.Report

9. Avatar Chris says:

Re #6: As the great philosopher once said, “Thinging, things are things.” I don’t think I need to say any more. I’d link to the quote, but naming, comments are spam.Report