Nearly There …

James K

James is a government policy analyst, and lives in Wellington, New Zealand. His interests including wargaming, computer gaming (especially RPGs and strategy games), Dungeons & Dragons and scepticism. No part of any of his posts or comments should be construed as the position of any part of the New Zealand government, or indeed any agency he may be associated with.

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Many congratulations to New Zealand and its citizens!

Have a good time at the weddings soon to follow, James.Report

2. Avatar James Hanley says:

Must. Resist. Sheep. Joke.Report

3. I gotta say that the “Princess Bride” doesn’t do it for me. But congratulations to New Zealand.Report

• Avatar James K says:

You don’t like the Princess Bride? Inconceivable!Report

• Avatar Dave says:

I think I need to edit The Commenting Policy to state that negative comments about The Princess Bride constitute a violation resulting in an immediate three-day ban from posting.Report

• Avatar KatherineMW says:

The book (abridged version), or the movie? I’ve never seen the movie, but the book is a lot of fun, largely because of the wit of the narrator which is something that it’s hard to carry over into a film.Report

• The movie. Until you mentioned it, I wasn’t aware there was a book. Maybe I should look into reading it.Report

• Avatar Jeff No-Last-Name says:

The book is fun in its own right — as stated, some of the “narrator”s comments are very fun.

If you’ve seen the movie, there’s a wonderful anecdote that Reiner and Golding tell: Golding didn’t visit the set often, but stopped by as they were filming the ROUS scene. Even though he wrote the book and was familiar as anything with the scene (the film is as close as possible to the book), he still jumped when the fire-marsh went off.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto says:

The more recent editions include a fair amount of meta-fiction written about making the movie, etc.Report

• To be clear, I can’t pinpoint anything about the movie that is “bad,” either aesthetically or any other “-ally.”

It just isn’t really my cup of tea, and it rubs me the wrong way even to the point of making me angry. Similar to the effect “Dr. Strangelove,” another “great movie” has on me. I guess there’s no accounting for taste.

As you might guess, I can be a difficult person to live live.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

Princess Bride makes no sense if you didn’t have a love/hate relationship with the old Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks swashbucklers. Woody Allen’s best joke illustrates the problem I can’t listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland. Report

4. Avatar North says: