The Last Plantaganet

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

I originally titled the post “The Last Lancastrian” because of my love of alliteration. But then I double-checked and was chagrined to find that in fact Richard was from the House of York, not the House of Lancaster. Keeping those straight has always been so confusing for this American! Seriously, one Plantaganet monarch was pretty much the same as another, amiright?Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

My immediate thought was that the guy who was putting up the parking lot found out about the site and his first thought was not “I should talk to the historian authorities” but “If I talk to the historian authorities, they’ll keep me from building my parking lot and I’ll be out of pocket for the losses.”Report

3. Avatar James Hanley

King Hoffa I?Report

4. Avatar Mike Dwyer

The same problem occurs all over the US more than people realize (although not with the royal implications). Small family cemeteries pop up constantly. Sometimes there are even large municipal cemeteries that are forgotten about. A lifetime ago I spent a month in Frankfort, KY helping to remove 200+ graves from the late 18th century that had been completely forgotten about.Report

5. Avatar Kolohe

Stolen from somewhere else: “Prince Harry is glad he isn’t the only royal found face down in parking lots these days”.Report

6. Avatar MikeSchilling

Why does it always seem to go
    That you don’t look for a horse till you’ve lost
    They pave Bosworth Field
    And put up a parking lot.

7. Avatar KatherineMW

COOL!

Words cannot express how fascinating this is. The archaeologists must be thrilled.Report