The Last Plantaganet

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I originally titled the post “The Last Lancastrian” because of my love of alliteration. But then I double-checked and was chagrined to find that in fact Richard was from the House of York, not the House of Lancaster. Keeping those straight has always been so confusing for this American! Seriously, one Plantaganet monarch was pretty much the same as another, amiright?Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

My immediate thought was that the guy who was putting up the parking lot found out about the site and his first thought was not “I should talk to the historian authorities” but “If I talk to the historian authorities, they’ll keep me from building my parking lot and I’ll be out of pocket for the losses.”Report

• Avatar Chris says:

A parking lot. A parking lot. My kingdom for a parking lot!Report

• Avatar North says:

Based on the article he wasn’t found by accident so much as they tracked him down and the parking lot was one of the only open spaces in the area. So the dude with the parking lot probably gave em permission to dig and was thinking “Cool, this could be a lot more value added than a parking lot!”Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

Folks in Britain are also a lot more used to archaeology in general. You can’t put a shovel in the ground there without finding something. In the US archaeologists generally only get involved at the request of land owners, with government projects or when it is a NAGPRA site.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

…A parking space fit for a king.Report

3. Avatar James Hanley says:

King Hoffa I?Report

4. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

The same problem occurs all over the US more than people realize (although not with the royal implications). Small family cemeteries pop up constantly. Sometimes there are even large municipal cemeteries that are forgotten about. A lifetime ago I spent a month in Frankfort, KY helping to remove 200+ graves from the late 18th century that had been completely forgotten about.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Yeah but the Brits forgot where they put their bloody King!Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

To adapt a joke from Mike recently, we’re Americans. If he comes back we’ll pave him over again.Report

• Avatar North says:

In fairness to the Brits Burt this particular King was a very unpopular one who’d literally just been killed in a battle to retain his crown and was very hastily tossed into a grave by his usurper/successor. Not exactly a storybook succession or burial.Report

5. Avatar Kolohe says:

Stolen from somewhere else: “Prince Harry is glad he isn’t the only royal found face down in parking lots these days”.Report

6. Avatar MikeSchilling says:

Why does it always seem to go
    That you don’t look for a horse till you’ve lost
    They pave Bosworth Field
    And put up a parking lot.

7. Avatar KatherineMW says:

COOL!

Words cannot express how fascinating this is. The archaeologists must be thrilled.Report