Pork and Pickles

1. I like it!

Especially since I pickle my own vegetables and have been trying to find uses for the juice after we’re all done eating the pickles.

I’m loving these weekend food posts. I’m Lovin’ it.Report

• Avatar M.A. says:

Hey, maybe you’ll find some spices with this recipe to add back into your own pickling mixture for the veggies too? I’d be interested in seeing your brine recipe.Report

• Avatar Miss Mary says:

I second your affection toward food related posts.

My ex in-laws made their own pickles. It’s one of the 3 things I miss about that marriage.Report

2. Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

Pops puts pickle juice in his lasagne.Report

3. Avatar Kazzy says:

First off, Ba-Tempte makes a great pickle that is available at standard grocers, at least in the greater NY area. More here: http://www.batamptepickle.com I can easily see their juice making a fine marinade, or marinade base at least.

Second, this jibes with my experience using a lemon-juice based marinade/brine for chicken. The acid, present in both lemon juice and pickle juice, just seems to both impart flavor and tenderness.

Third, other brines/juices can also be used in a variety of ways. My favorite addition to a Bloody Mary is olive brine, basically a dirty Bloody Mary (or dirty BM, if you will). Jalapeno brine works with a lot of tequila based drinks.Report

4. Avatar Glyph says:

I’m gonna have to try this. We have gotten completely hooked on the Boar’s Head dill spears and they ain’t cheap (but…oh god…they are, bar none, the best pickle I have ever eaten), so a way to get some more use out of the jar helps justify the cost 🙂Report

5. Avatar Miss Mary says:

You’re making my vegetarian mouth water.Report

6. Avatar Theo. Bennett says:

Good one M.A. Thank you.
    Your process works a treat. Pickle juice
    is no longer post menu redundant in my
    kitchen
    Tomorrow I shall try the same thing with
    turnips.
    – Theo.Report

7. Avatar Damon says:

Excellent suggestion. Gonna have to try it!Report

8. Avatar Ally says:

Very nice, I love the marinade suggestion. You’ve got a winner there!Report