Just Another Cat-Loving, Saab-Driving, Wine-Swilling Liberal Jewish Democrat

Michelle Togut

Michelle Togut resides in North Carolina with her husband and pets. She has worked as an adjunct professor of history, contributor and writer, and small-firm attorney, among other things. These days, she's trying to sell real estate. For fun, she reads political blogs of all persuasions, practices yoga, drinks wine, hikes, reads, and volunteers for a local animal rescue.

1. Avatar Michael Drew

Welcome! Yay!Report

2. Avatar Snarky McSnarkSnark

I know you’ve been around quite a while, but Welcome!Report

3. Avatar Robert Greer

Your excellent comments give me good reason to look forward to your posts, Michelle.Report

4. Avatar NewDealer

Except for the fact that I am absolutely allergic to cats and prefer dogs. We seem to have a lot in common.

I’m still curious about how your parents feel about being among the 20 percent of Jews who are Republican. Minority-in-minority groups fascinate me.Report

• Avatar Michelle in reply to NewDealer

My father thinks Jewish liberals are deluded, particularly those who don’t understand that Obama is going to throw Israel under the bus. My mother grew up in a small town outside of Sacramento and registered Republican the moment she could vote. She was raised as some kind of Protestant and converted when she married my father.

They haven’t been active in the Jewish community for ages and, near as I can tell, most of their friends are pretty Republican and not Jewish. So, they live in something of a bubble made worse by their excessive consumption of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and the National Review. I pretty much bite hard on my tongue when either of them talks politics anymore because failure to do so ends up in a nasty argument. My father and I once got into a two-hour screaming match over the topic of Sarah Palin. We pretty much live in two very different political realities.Report

5. Avatar Kazzy

Welcome, Michelle!

Diesel? Not so much.Report

6. Avatar Rufus F.

Welcome aboard! If you’re ever interested, a Lasch symposium here would make my month!Report

7. Avatar Tod Kelly

Welcome! It is most awesome to have you on board.Report

8. Avatar greginak

WelcomeReport

9. Avatar Jaybird

Hurray! (Cecilia, Tiger, and Angel are delighted as well.)Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Jaybird

Actually, while at least one additional member of the household (me) is also delighted, the cats are quite ambivalent. You see, they think the job of humans is to feed them and pet them (and in Jaybird’s case, to sit on the couch, playing video games, as pictured in the gravatar above). The job of humans is most definitely NOT to shut themselves into the computer room, or fill up their lap with a laptop, while reading this “League” business. Thus, the addition of even the most pro-cat blogger to the rostrum is a matter of grave doubt, as far as the cats are concerned.

[I think this may be the most twee paragraph I have ever written. OH WELL. Welcome to the front page, Michelle! I’m looking forward to your posts.]Report

10. Avatar Murali

Welcome!

P.S. Is it me or is the cat to person ratio increasing?Report

11. Avatar Miss Mary

You sound fabulous! Here and from you previous comments. I’m so excited for you. 🙂

I’m not a cat person, but Pugs are my *favorite*. I like the part about wine, yoga, and hiking. Yay Michelle!!!!Report

• Avatar Michelle in reply to Miss Mary

I’m pretty much my pug’s servant these days now that’s she’s getting up there and doesn’t get around nearly as well as she used to. She’s still a little sweetheart though who’ll happily suck up to anybody who thinks she’s cute.Report

12. Avatar Conor P. Williams

Breaking my usual comment silence to note that Christopher Lasch is a great, fascinating academic. Someday I’d love to pick your brain about him and his Rochester colleague, Robert Westbrook.

A very hearty welcome! The site is better for having you aboard.Report

13. Avatar James Hanley

Congrats, Michelle. I’ve enjoyed your comments, so it’s nice to see you elevated to the masthead.Report

14. Avatar Theo. Bennett

Welcome. And thank you. Saabs, wine, liberalism and the Rest are
    treasures mire aluable than opals.
    – Theo.Report

15. Avatar Theo. Bennett

PS
    Almost as valuable as fingers less buttered than mine
    when hastily tapping a message by ‘phone txt… ( smile)
    I meant, of course, “treasures MORE VALUABLE than”…!
    Then again, perhaps it’s my own mired Saab-driving, border
    collie loving, Clare Valley shiraz-viognier swilling, basic
    Liberal Judeo democracy passion that’s to blame…?
    Looking forward,
    – Theo.Report

16. Avatar James K

Welcome to the Inner Circle Michelle.Report

17. Avatar Rod Engelsman

Congrats, Michelle! Looking forward to some more insight from the XX wing.Report

18. Avatar zic

Happy.

Nice to have another woman posting. And always nice to have someone with so much common sense have a soap box on which to stand. (And the more I read/react here, the nicer I think that soap box, too.)

Thanks for asking Michelle, Tom & Erik. I’m grateful.Report

19. Avatar Burt Likko

I’m thrilled to have you on the front page, Michelle, and I am really, really looking forward to reading your work.

Diesel would not only have curled ears also but a bobbed tail, no? And about the size of Maine Coon? He must make quite an impression on people.Report

20. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

Mazel Tov on the birth of posting privileges!Report

21. Avatar ktward

Very awesome.

Fwiw, I’ve ever found affinity with folks who are both dog people and cat people. Admittedly, I’m much less excited about birds as pets but I’m usually willing to come to terms with my own shortcomings.Report

22. Avatar Glyph

Bienvenidos!Report

23. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Welcome aboard Michelle!Report

24. Avatar Russell Saunders

Oh, hurrah! I am super-delighted by this.Report

25. Avatar Damon