Leaguefest 2013!

Mark of New Jersey

Mark is a Founding Editor of The League of Ordinary Gentlemen, the predecessor of Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

Mrs. Likko and I are planning on being there.

The Cubs are playing the Pirates that weekend. It’s the Blues Festival. There’s amazing food to eat, above and beyond the Hot Dogs although those are not to be disparaged nor consumed with ketchup. (Legend has it that the Miami Indian word which French explorers transcribed as “Chigagou,” and meant onions or garlic.) It is cool to be on the observation deck of the Sears Willis Tower or the Hancock Center and see four states at once. The museums are world class. I’m interested in the Frank Lloyd Wright studio. The zoo, the Navy Pier, and the live music even when it isn’t the blues festival are outstanding.

The problem will not be finding things to do. The problem will be selecting from amongst the myriad of choices.Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

I am in like James Colburn in those really bad Bond rip-offs.Report

3. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I’m going to do my best. Has anyone checked room availability due to the blues festival?Report

4. Avatar Miss Mary

Sounds fun. I’ve never been to Chicago.Report

5. Avatar Mike Schilling

I can’t make a firm commitment , but it seems doable. (Moving kids back from their respective colleges doesn’t happen until the weekend after.) I am of course up for a Cubs game (speaking of which, we really should consider April 11-14 instead.). And since it would be just me, I’d be interested in sharing a room to help cut the total expense.

Also, having enjoyed a business trip to Chicago last year, I don’t know why you’re going on about hot dogs instead of pizza.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Mike Schilling

Here’s hoping you can make the June dates work. But April is straight out- it will be a cold day in Hell before I willingly give you up to four additional chances to stuff the All Star ballot for a Panda.

However, as a son of Jersey, it will be an even colder day in Hell before I acknowledge the existence of “pizza” with a crust greater than 1 cm thick.Report

• Avatar Michelle in reply to Mike Schilling

Deep dish pizza–bleh. Much too heavy.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Mike Schilling

So does this mean that Mark and Michelle concur with, of all people, Antonin Scalia?Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Burt Likko

Heh – I’ve been known to concur with Scalia every once in awhile, probably neither any more nor any less than any other SCOTUS justice. But even if it were truly a rare occurrence, the common bond of being a Jersey guy transcends politics.

I should add that there’s nothing inherently wrong with tomato pie – the folks down around Philly swear by it – but if you’re doing a thick crust and putting the tomato sauce on top as the last ingredient, it’s not a pizza.

So, let’s review:
        -Thin crust, cheese on top of the sauce= Pizza
        -Thick crust, cheese on top of the sauce= Sicilian Pizza (this is not a sub-type of “pizza,” fwiw – one does not go to even a place known for its Sicilian, ask for a “pizza” and expect anything other than a thin crust. If one walks into a place legendary for its Sicilians, one must still ask for a “Sicilian” or, at most, a “Sicilian Pizza,” or else one will still find themselves eating a thin-crust pizza)
        – Thick or thin crust, sauce on top of the cheese = Tomato PieReport

6. Avatar Michael Drew

This one I could very possibly make. Will endeavor.Report

7. Avatar Will H.

I can be in Chicago in two hours on the train.
    Really, the reason I stayed in this town was the excellent rail service.
    Not sure where I’ll be in July though.Report

8. Avatar Dan

if anyone wants to do it that way you can usually get hotels by o’hare on priceline for $50 using name your own price.Report

9. Avatar North

That’s in my back yard. I’d certainly be interested in attending.. would be deeply dependent on work.Report

10. Avatar Angela

I’m local, and interested.
    Also, I have a sailboat (S2 9.1) at Belmont Harbor, and could take people out for a ride if there’s interest.
    The Architecture Foundation gives a great river tour downtown. You can see a lot of interesting details from the water. http://www.architecture.org/architecture-river-cruiseReport

11. Avatar Kazzy

Are you arranging babysitting?Report

12. Avatar Maribou

Crappers, I have to be in Chicago for a work conference from the 27th-3rd… almost certainly can’t go to the same place twice in one month. Although, hm, now that I think about it… if Jay and I did the fly-in-am, stay-overnight-fly-out thing again, and I didn’t have to miss work….

put me down for a maybe.Report

13. Avatar Plinko

There’s a strong possibility the Mrs. and I will be in WI visiting family in June, she’s been interested in a diversion to Chi-town so I may work that to my advantage.

Also, pizza.Report

14. Avatar Michelle

I love me some Chicago and miss living there (we had a condo in Evanston for several years). Best big city in the country. There’s a pretty decent chance the husband and I could go. Early June is one of the nicest times of year– the ice has melted but the heat and humidity isn’t oppressive.Report

15. Avatar Ryan Noonan

I am almost certainly a no, sadly. Between infant son and weddings on Memorial Day weekend AND June 15, that’s sort of a uniquely bad weekend. Unless I can convince the wife to go to Michigan and stay a whole week (the June 15 wedding is in Ann Arbor), but I’m not hopeful about THAT.Report

16. Avatar Russell Saunders

I have broached the topic with the Better Half, and there is tentative interest. Lord knows I’d love to attend and see everyone again (plus all y’all who couldn’t make the last one), but right now it’s a big We’ll See.

Also, I say 1+ on the museum idea.Report

17. Avatar aaron david

The wife loves Chicago, so there is a chance for me.Report

18. Avatar Mark Thompson

Thanks to all who’ve responded so quickly. It looks like, at minimum, there’s sufficient interest in these dates to start moving ahead with the plan. I’m going to be out of pocket for most of the next week, but once I return, or if I have time before I leave, I’ll see if I can get a room block reserved.Report

19. Avatar ktward

OMG. My heart is breaking.

Y’all are going to be in My Town (which I’m not in for the last year and a half because I moved to the Carribean to care for ageing folks–trust me, living in a tropical paradise where one doesn’t speak the language is a lot less wonderful than vacationing there) and I can’t be there when you are because I’m already going to be there-ish in May for my daughter’s ISU graduation.

Makes me wanna cry.Report

20. Avatar James Hanley

The spouse and I are definite maybes, Chicago being just a train ride away. Just to throw in my tips:

1. The stained glass museum at Navy Pier is awesome and free. Vast numbers of stained glass windows rescued from demolished buildings. The architecture buffs will be orgasmic.

2. Consider going to Second City Theater. I’ve never not had a blast there, and it’s only about $30 (but they do gouge you on the drinks).

3. If you want to stay in the Loop, Near North Side, Miracle Mile area instead of out near the airport, wait until a week or less before you go and find on on Hotwire. I’ve always managed to get one for $100-$150 max. Chicago is wholly different from NY when it comes to hotel affordability.

4. Take Angela up on the sailboat ride. I’ve never met her, but she’s got a sailboat!Report

21. Avatar Snarky McSnarksnark

Attending Leaguefest 2012 was definitely one of the highlights of my last year, so I will definitely try to do this year’s as well. I see that many of my favorite Leaguers are also yessing or dithering, so that just provides added incentive.

Never been out and about in Chicago when it wasn’t freezing.Report

22. Avatar Will Truman

It pains me to (most likely) miss this gathering. I definitely hope to make it in 2014, wherever it may be.Report