Reductio ad absurdum.

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Annelid Gustator

So what you’re saying is that the new camera is working out?Report

2. Avatar Roger

Your pictures inspire me to paint. That says it all.Report

3. Avatar BlaiseP

Nice perspective work.

I do a lot of panorama work. I’ve had surprisingly good luck shooting panorama on my smart phone. I tried for years, lenses, knitting together separate frames, to no avail. Finally broke down and got a camera which did pano shots. Couldn’t be happier.Report

• Avatar David Ryan in reply to BlaiseP

You might remember I was doing stitched together panoramas of the boat-shop last Winter, and yes, it’s a lot of work, even just to get an obviously patch-worked result.

My frustration with very wide aspect ratios is where to show them. As mentioned previously, they work well for websites, but outside of that, very few things lend themselves to long photos. Phil Bolger wrote about that in one of my favorite passages of his…Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to David Ryan

Yes, I do remember that image. I use Google’s image storage, very convenient and cost-effective.

It’s not difficult to have two panos printed on the same big sheet, have a framing shop cut them apart and mount them.Report

• Avatar Lyle in reply to David Ryan

I assume you have looked at giga-pan which is a way to get huge panoramas, one puts a digital camera on a special tripod mount and the software takes a bunch of pictures and pastes them together. (The key is that the tripod mount aims the camera by computer control, so that the software to make the panorama has an easier task)Report