Sympathy for the Record Industry

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Glyph

Wait, wait, wait…you mean that the ability for anyone, anywhere, at any time to access a preview (advertisement) for any of your products, and quickly and cheaply obtain the ones that appeal to them, increases yr ability to sell them?

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle.

HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSICReport

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Glyph

Shhhhh! Nobody tell the musicians!Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Rufus F.

Oh no doubt. The companies will no doubt continue to claim that you are not owed a single cent, despite having played on 30 years’ worth of influential blues records or whatever.

Seriously, people might look at the whole debate differently if the record industry hadn’t proved itself, time and again, to be full of dishonest conniving cheating jerkwads. I maintained then and now that all they needed to do was stop gouging, and people would have played along indefinitely.

I STILL buy physical media when it is at or below the price point I have always considered the magic one – I’ll take a chance on most anything that seems intriguing if it’s $10 or under for CDs, a bit more for vinyl depending on what it is & how bad I want it.

But they are starting to creep up on the download prices now (I still have eMusic, but am considering dropping it for this reason) and I swear sooner or later they will screw themselves again by trying to charge $17.99 for downloads because they just. cannot. help. themselves (remember when they said CD’s would come down from that ridiculous initial markup? Ha Ha! Good times).Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Glyph

It sort of depends on the label too. Some of the indies still pay the bands 50% of the album sales, and sometimes they even pay more. So, I feel very few qualms when I buy an album on a label like Dischord. Now, having known a lot of bands and indie labels and knowing a bit about how much these things actually cost to produce vs. what the majors charge for them, I’d never, ever advise any musician to sign to a major label without a really good lawyer.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Rufus F.

If they are a good band, I’d advise them to never go to a major period. Not at this point. I am sure say Merge will treat them fairly, and get them as much exposure as can reasonably be expected in today’s landscape.

Now, SST, if that were still a going concern? No way. There’s an indie that treated its bands as crappily as any major ever did. Plus botched a lot of otherwise-classic recordings by using an in-house producer (Spot) with no actual producing/recording abilities.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird