Suck This!

Patrick

Patrick is a mid-40 year old geek with an undergraduate degree in mathematics and a master's degree in Information Systems. Nothing he says here has anything to do with the official position of his employer or any other institution.

1. Avatar NewDealer

Play Barcuda proudly!Report

2. Avatar greginak

Q: What do you give a guy for Christmas/Xmas/Chanukah/Santa’s Birthday/ Winter Solstice who already has all the Rush albums?

A: Polite Canadian pity.Report

3. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Rush was the band that helped me transition from 80s hair metal to a more ‘mature’ taste in music during the 90s. I wasn’t ever into grunge or the Seatlle Sound so Rush gave me an opportunity to explore all that earlier music I was unaware of. And Neil Peart is the only living member of the Holy Trinity of rock drummers (John Bonham and Keith Moon being the other two).

Public Enemy made this suburban white kid feel hard. I loved, loved, loved those guys. Welcome to the Terror Dome is still on my hip-hop must-listen mix and will remain there always.

And of course Donna Summer sang one of the best break-up songs ever. Props.Report

4. Avatar Kazzy

Rush, Public Enemey, and Randy Newman… Does “Rock and Roll” even mean anything any more?Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Kazzy

I think it’s poetic that Randy Newman goes in with Rush.

Also, if they’re going to put Public Enemy in, I can only assume NWA is next.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Kazzy

Kazzy, I am afraid this lovely lady appears to understand “Rock and Roll” better than you do.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to Glyph

This lovely girl seems to have a pretty good grasp of the topic, too. I give you Tal WilkenfeldReport

• Avatar Glyph in reply to BlaiseP

Holy cow. This, as the commenters point out, is both joy-inducing and discouraging at the same time.

According to the description, she’s EIGHT.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Glyph

I can’t check out the videos, but I should clarify…

I am not criticizing the acknowledgement of any of these acts. What I mean is that, when I was growing up, “Rock and Roll” was a particular genre of music, one that Randy Newman and certainly not Public Enemy would ever be categorized as. For wahtever reason (perhaps the R&R HOF itself), it seems to have morphed into a catchall for any and all popular music, or basically anything not symphony orchestra. Which is fine if we are going to rebrand the term that way, but it seems to be a departure from the original meaning of the word as I understand it.

And please don’t read this as some curmudgeonly rant about rap groups defiling the good name of rock music. Far from it… most of the music I listen to is rap and hip-hop. I’m just trying to understand what musical genres even mean anymore, if they mean anything.

Sidenote: I remember when Eminem first came out, he got a lot of airplay on the local contemporary rock station, which made no sense. It seemed entirely based on his skin color, which was odd. I recognize that he had a huge following amongst white folks and that there was likely a large segment of the rock station’s audience that also enjoyed his music, but this could have been said for a number of artists, none of whom got any play there. So, again, there seemed to be a really perverse sense of “genre” at play even then (and that’s going back at least 12 years).Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Kazzy

Genres of music in this country have always puzzled me.
              Then again I was recently listening to some Japanese guy rapping about Keynesian economics (no, don’t ask me who.)

In Japan, you have music that takes cues from wayang kulit, that plays accordians Italian style, or bagpipes — singing in Russian, Latin, French, or even made up languages (it’s arguable sometimes how much they’re actually singing in english, versus stringing random english words together…).Report

• Avatar Jeff No-Last-Name in reply to Kazzy

I would say that “Stan”, if none other, might fall at the edge of R&R.Report

5. Avatar zic

If I drank, I’d raise a glass to Hart.

Thank you.

I’m married to a musician. I’ve spent most of my life around musicians. I love musicians. But they are misogynists. I will hear a complaint about chick singers in the very near future. The audience, too. Even the women in the audience. And let’s not even talk about the slut shaming.

Hart lived it. They shredded the cultural wave.

I’m happy to report that things are a bit better. And that’s because of Hart. Because they were good musicians. Nothing else really mattered.

We are all indebted.Report

6. Avatar Brandon Berg

As a libertarian, I want to like Rush.

I gave it my best shot, I really did.Report