Things That Need To Be

Patrick

Patrick is a mid-40 year old geek with an undergraduate degree in mathematics and a master's degree in Information Systems. Nothing he says here has anything to do with the official position of his employer or any other institution.

1. Avatar Reformed Republican

My dimensional shift (entertainment related) would be the alternate universe where Les Claypool became the bass player for Metallica. I have no ideas what they would have sounded like, but I would love to find out.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

I have posted this
    before, but what the hey: HBO Sandman series, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, showrunners Whedon and Del Toro.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Glyph

Martin Freeman as Lucien?Report

• Avatar KatherineMW in reply to Glyph

That….sounds awesome. Del Toro is the perfect pick. Not so sure about Whedon; The Sandman’s not a quippy as his typical oeuvre, and it seems to be the fad lately to pick him for anything geeky whether it directly connects to his skills or not.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to KatherineMW

I just wanted someone who could handle the story’s emotional beats, which I am afraid Del Toro might lose because of the comic book source – he’s great in original stuff, like Devil’s Backbone or Pan’s Labyrinth, but Hellboy or Mimic (not that this is a comic, but still it’s sort of comic-like) have no real feeling to them, IMO.

I am open to suggestions on that front, and maybe Del Toro would be fine on his own (there’s no doubt the visuals’d be fantastic). I thought of Whedon not so much for his ‘quippy’ side, but the way that BtVS was able to pile on so many different emotional tenors and stylistic experiments.Report

3. Avatar Miss Mary

Slightly off topic, but it is movie related:
    I thought of you, Patrick, when I heard they were remaking Sound of Music. My first thought was, “really, is nothing sacred?” And then I thought, I wonder what Pat thinks of the festering subculture of remakes.Report

4. Avatar Ken

The first turned into Torn Curtain, but Nabokov’s version would have been interesting.

I don’t think the second got made, certainly not by Hitchcock. There’s some similarities to Fitzwilly.Report