Assassin’s Creed III: The Greatest Threat to Civilization

Jonathan McLeod

Jonathan McLeod is a writer living in Ottawa, Ontario. (That means Canada.) He spends too much time following local politics and writing about zoning issues. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

I got to the part of the game where we go from “silly” to “really silly” and it’s positively giggle-inducing.

That said, I can’t wait to see what happens next.

(I’ve met Samuel Adams. He’s shown me how to bribe town criers.)Report

• Avatar Roger says:

Jaybird,

Unlike you, I have a hard time finding games I like, even though I love playing games, especially third person shooters (first person makes me want to barf on my projector).

Do you recommend Assassins Creed? Any better suggestions?Report

• Avatar Snarky McSnarksnark says:

As a fellow geezer-gamer, I highly recommend Wolfenstein. The game is a hoot–kind of a fantasy / sci-fi Indiana Jones–and, and very satisfying to play.Report

• Avatar Kim says:

Thief’s a great game. first person, but with a larger FOV, which causes less nausea
        (citing yet more industrial research)Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

If you have not played X-Com, you need to play X-Com. I’ll have a post and probably another gift guide for the site but X-Com is this year’s Arkham City.

Well, Assassin’s Creed is more a third-person *SNEAKER* with heavy emphasis on platforming. There is some emphasis on shooty stuff (well, more like knife-throwing) but the action is primarily short burst action rather than the joys of, say, X-Com. Pick up Assassin’s Creed (the first one) used and you’ll get it for less than $20 (and probably less than $15) and you’ll not only get the first part of the story, you’ll find out if you’d like the more expensive ones.Report

• Avatar Roger says:

Thanks guys. I am embarrassed to even tell you what game I play it is so old.Report

• Avatar Plinko says:

Hang out with us more at Mindless Diversions, Roger, you’ll get all sorts of suggestions on games to play.Report

• Avatar Roger says:

I will. When I finally find one I love, I become addicted.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

PC gamer? XBox gamer? PS3?

If it’s PC, I can confidently say “YOU NEED TO FRIGGIN DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR X-COM RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW”. The Demo is available on Steam.

If you are instead an XBox or PS3 gamer, the demo is available through the respective marketplaces… and you need to friggin download the demo right friggin now.

It’s a tactical shooter, third-person, bird’s eye view, turn-based, alien invasion, difficult learning curve, all that stuff.Report

• Avatar Roger says:

I have a PS3 but the only game I play regularly is Ridge Racer. I play it all winter when I am on my exercise bike. Racing games get me to peddle faster. I instinctively peddle to pass competitors.

I actually spend most of my gaming time on my PS2 playing Star Wars Battlefront online. This game is approaching the ten year age mark. There are probably only a few dozen loyal players left.

I am not sure XCOM is something I could get into though. It seems more like those turn taking RPG games.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Just *TRY* the demo. It’s free!Report

• Avatar Dhex says:

Obligatory vote for dark souls here. It is the business.Report

• Avatar Roger says:

We are an all Mac family. I don’t think it will work.Report

• Avatar Plinko says:

Roger, go download Steam, they’ve got a pretty good Mac selection – I’m pretty sure not Dark Souls or X-Com yet, but still better than you’ll find most anywhere.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

Roger, my “newest” platform is the PS2, and I still routinely play Civ III Conquests.

“Old” is relative.Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Oh noes video game not same as history book.Report

3. Avatar Chris says:

Favorite Assassin’s Creed III tweet:

Our school system’s a joke. Just now learning that the guy from Assassin’s Creed helped us win the Revolutionary War.Report

4. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

I don’t know. I think it’s a fair point. If you’re going to have a historical setting, it’s okay to add some stuff for artistic license, but you shouldn’t get key facts completely backwards.Report

• Perhaps, but I don’t think it’s worth a 10-paragraph editorial in the Globe. And calling out Ubisoft’s patriotism – or whatever it is they were doing – is quite stupid.

Maybe they meant it all as a joke. If so, they told it wrong.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto says:

I don’t know if it’s about Ubisoft’s patriotism as much as it is about the fact that the Canadian government (at various levels) have provided tax breaks, etc. to Ubisoft.

Is that perhaps nitpicking? I dunno. But imagine the outrage if an American developer was given a tax break to develop a game where you were say were a member of Aguinado’s filipino army fighting against General Otis and killing American soldiers….

Yeah, pretty sure you’d see the outrage machine mobilized for that.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

There were no Native Americans who sided with the (pick one) Continentals-Rebels-Patriots? That doesn’t sound right to me.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto says:

Basically none, yes. Given that there was really no reason for them to side with Brother Johnathan…

I wonder why there’s no cameo of Mel Gibson in the game, though.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

Very few native Americans sided with the Revolution. The British Crown had long since concluded treaties with the native peoples, trying to contain the settlements to the eastern coast. Furthermore, the British bribed the native people extravagantly to fight on their side. This would lead to some horrific massacres and much recrimination against the native peoples after the war.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto says:

And in all fairness one of the screeds against King George was the whole “making treaties with native savages and siding against us” thing.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Yeah, it’s the Native Americans who should be outraged. It’s like the myth of loyal blacks fighting for the Confederacy.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto says:

Don’t say that…or Assassins Creed 4 will be about a black freedman assassinating the evil yankees trying to ravage southern belles.Report

5. Avatar Kazzy says:

I always see the commercials for this game, usually played with a song I really liked, and am always interested. And confused. Is the guy some sort of Native American ninja running around and killing people during the American Revolution? Not that it needs to make sense because even THAT is pretty awesome.

Of course, I’m still trying to figure out how to get Minesweeper on my Mac so, I’m not the best judge of gaming…Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Not only is the guy some sort of Native American ninja running around and killing people during the American Revolution, he’s doing it as part of a hidden conspiracy in a war against the Templars that goes back millennia to the First Peoples.Report

• Avatar KatherineMW says:

This is rather confusing to me, because I’m used to First Peoples being understood as an alternate term for Native Americans/First Nations rather than a crazy theory about prehistory.Report