Assassin’s Creed III: The Greatest Threat to Civilization

Jonathan McLeod

Jonathan McLeod is a writer living in Ottawa, Ontario. (That means Canada.) He spends too much time following local politics and writing about zoning issues. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

I got to the part of the game where we go from “silly” to “really silly” and it’s positively giggle-inducing.

That said, I can’t wait to see what happens next.

(I’ve met Samuel Adams. He’s shown me how to bribe town criers.)Report

• Avatar Roger in reply to Jaybird says:

Jaybird,

Unlike you, I have a hard time finding games I like, even though I love playing games, especially third person shooters (first person makes me want to barf on my projector).

Do you recommend Assassins Creed? Any better suggestions?Report

• Avatar Snarky McSnarksnark in reply to Roger says:

As a fellow geezer-gamer, I highly recommend Wolfenstein. The game is a hoot–kind of a fantasy / sci-fi Indiana Jones–and, and very satisfying to play.Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Roger says:

Thief’s a great game. first person, but with a larger FOV, which causes less nausea
        (citing yet more industrial research)Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Roger says:

If you have not played X-Com, you need to play X-Com. I’ll have a post and probably another gift guide for the site but X-Com is this year’s Arkham City.

Well, Assassin’s Creed is more a third-person *SNEAKER* with heavy emphasis on platforming. There is some emphasis on shooty stuff (well, more like knife-throwing) but the action is primarily short burst action rather than the joys of, say, X-Com. Pick up Assassin’s Creed (the first one) used and you’ll get it for less than $20 (and probably less than $15) and you’ll not only get the first part of the story, you’ll find out if you’d like the more expensive ones.Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Oh noes video game not same as history book.Report

3. Avatar Chris says:

Favorite Assassin’s Creed III tweet:

Our school system’s a joke. Just now learning that the guy from Assassin’s Creed helped us win the Revolutionary War.Report

4. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

I don’t know. I think it’s a fair point. If you’re going to have a historical setting, it’s okay to add some stuff for artistic license, but you shouldn’t get key facts completely backwards.Report

5. Avatar Kazzy says:

I always see the commercials for this game, usually played with a song I really liked, and am always interested. And confused. Is the guy some sort of Native American ninja running around and killing people during the American Revolution? Not that it needs to make sense because even THAT is pretty awesome.

Of course, I’m still trying to figure out how to get Minesweeper on my Mac so, I’m not the best judge of gaming…Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kazzy says:

Not only is the guy some sort of Native American ninja running around and killing people during the American Revolution, he’s doing it as part of a hidden conspiracy in a war against the Templars that goes back millennia to the First Peoples.Report

• Avatar KatherineMW in reply to Jaybird says:

This is rather confusing to me, because I’m used to First Peoples being understood as an alternate term for Native Americans/First Nations rather than a crazy theory about prehistory.Report