Ain’t Love Grand? (a Tony Comstock guest post)

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Jeff No-Last-Name

I think it’s cute. My wife, she would be beet-red, which considering her skin color, would be quite an accomplishment.Report

2. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

David, I’d just like to say that I’ve really loved all your posts this week. You’ve been not getting many comments, because everyone is wonking out on the trade posts, but excellent stuff, dude.Report

• Avatar David Ryan in reply to Patrick Cahalan

In the Post & Comment blog format, commentary is the most obvious measure of reader engagement, and I sometimes marvel at what posts here and elsewhere will generate a 200+ comment thread, and (sometimes) wonder if I’m doing something wrong that my posts (often) do not generate much in the way of commentary.

Alan Jacobs and I have a long running conversation about various ways that different sorts of listening sound, and how poorly the internet re-creates these various subtle inflections of attentiveness. Thanks for your comment, Patrick. Mostly I write for myself, but not entirely. 😉Report

• Avatar Will H. in reply to David Ryan

the most obvious measure of reader engagement

For the author, that is.
        But it’s really no true measure.

I could spend a lot of time discussing that concept, but really, I have other things to do.Report

3. Avatar Chris

I like this one too. I think my reaction would have been similar to yours, wondering whether she was embarrassed or something else (or some combination).

This seems much, much more harmless than proposals at large sporting events, but they are both members of a common superordinate category.

But then I’m also really glad she’s happy with him, and he with her apparently, and I hope that sometime soon they are able to live closer to each other should they so desire.Report

4. Avatar zic

The day before our 25th wedding anniversary, early evening, my husband said he wanted to show me something on the roof. (He’s a HAM, there’s an access to antennas.) So up we climbed, 3 floors of barn, loft, ladder to access. We lean out, and he shows me a double rainbow hung across the sky. “Here,” he said, “I’ll get it for you.” He reached out, grabbed, and then handed me a piece of bling — a bracelet with a rainbow of gem stones, locally mined, made by a local artist. I’d admired it a few months before, having finally grown in to my girlish affection for rainbows.

Men. We women don’t give them enough credit for their devotion, their love, and the romantic ways they have of demonstrating it. (Bling, in my house, is not typical. But the love, devotion, trust and fun happen each and every day. That’s the real romance.)Report

5. Avatar Mike Schilling

“Why are you crying, miss?”

“Well, that was very sweet and all, but the bus driver’s my husband.”Report