Bookers: Fishing Strong Whiskey

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Tod Kelly

I’m meeting friends to hear music tonight, so I’ll be joining in this month.

Any recommendations about how I might get it? (rocks, up, manhattan, etc)Report

2. Avatar Plinko

I need to pick up a bottle when I get home next week, been looking forward to trying Booker’s (this and Blanton’s are the two higher end bourbons I’m most excited to try out).

Supposedly, you can get a Jim Beam with Port that’s distilled in Kentucky but only sold in Australia – I hear you can get it at one of Changi International’s Duty Free shops, so I’m going on a search on my way out tonight.Report

3. Avatar Glyph

Booker’s is good stuff (Baker’s is also quite good). It’s what I was quaffing during the Mindless Diversions hangout on Friday. I almost always go rocks in my whiskies; I am in a hot clime, and I find there are few that aren’t smoothed out/opened up with just a skosche of icemelt anyway.Report

4. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I proposed to Mrs.Dwyer about a mile from where they made that stuff. When I was a kid the Jim Beam tour was always my favorite.Report

5. Avatar Kazzy

Thanks for jumping on this, Burt. Sandy has left me high and dry. I am well, but cannot devote either the physical or digital attention to the club. I’ll report back when I may but kudos on a great intro to this month’s tasting.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Kazzy

Take care Kazzy, hope all is well.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Kazzy

Dude, I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers and wishes for your guys.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Kazzy

Good luck and take care!Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Kazzy

Take care of business first, man. We’ll share one of these later.Report

• Avatar George Turner in reply to Kazzy

If you were ever going to loot a liquor store, now is a very opportune time.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Kazzy

Hey all…

Thanks for the kind wishes. I probably overstated the case, in part because of poor word choice and in part because of a hastily typed message on the iPad.

We are without power but the house is otherwise fine. We are actually quite fortunate that the tree that came down back in September did so then, as it likely would have caused more damage in this storm and with a longer timeline for repairs. Living in the boonies like we do, our well cutout with the power so we were without water (though did fill up the tubs and all available basins). We’ve been staying at a friend’s place most nights and are now transitioning to another friend’s. We should have power by the end of the week. School starts tomorrow (we were in today for meetings) and a slow return to normalcy will be welcome.

Everyone is healthy and safe. I’m starting to crash after going at 110% to keep Zazzy comfortable and calm and to ensure we didn’t become a burden on our evergracious keeper. Who knew keeping TWO almost-30 women could be so exhausting? When I was finally separated from both earlier today (I work with the young lady who had been housing us), the enormity of the past week hit me and I’m dragging now. But, all is well and we will soon be back like nothing happened.

Thanks again for the kind words and show of support.Report

6. Avatar Tod Kelly

In what may be my favorite robo-tweet of all time, it looks like Burt’s title got this post a tweet shout out from the World Fishing News.

7. Avatar b-psycho