About Facebook’s new Promoted Posts for for Businesses

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar MikeSchilling says:

Speaking of Them, I loved the recent Jon Stewart interview with Pete Townshend (you can find the extended version of the Daily Show web site.) Pete is still smart, quick, and hilarious at 75.Report

• Avatar David Ryan says:

Tony Comstock’s “magnum opus” of media and social criticism at The Atlantic was based on paralleling the period of 1968-1975 with 1999-2006; examining them through the lens of Climax Ecology and classing both periods of disruption as “clearing events” akin to a forest fire.

My understanding is Pete Townshend was not impressed with what he saw at Woodstock in 1969. By contrast, I was very caught up in (as Tim Wu puts it) the utopian promise of the early internet. Quite possibly I was just rolling around in the mud.Report

• Avatar MikeSchilling says:

I knew some people who, around 1996, signed for for an ISP that promised them free web access forever. When, about eighteen months later, it admitted that their business model hadn’t worked and they were going to have to start charging, they felt betrayed, as if they were worse off than people who hadn’t gotten a year and a half of free service.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Here’s Pete covering one of his (and my) favorite pop songs:

2. Avatar Shannon's Mouse says:

Always important to remember:

When it comes to free online services, you are not the customer, you are the commodity. This is why I pay a modest sum for my email service and for my online photo storage.Report

• Avatar wardsmith says:

What? Are you all saying there’s no such thing as a free lunch? Where have I heard that before?Report

• Avatar KatherineMW says:

Not a new thing. The same thing’s true to an extent of cable, where you provide eyeballs for the advertisers – which is why the networks can afford to let me watch my favourite shows on TV with a few ads now that I don’t have cable.

I’m fine with sidebar ads as the price of good free content. It’s only when companies start gathering information on me and selling it that I get leery.Report