Friday Jukebox: Music Is Better Than Politics

Sam Wilkinson

According to a faithful reader, I'm Ordinary Times's "least thoughtful writer." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

1. Avatar aaron david

Timebomb is phenomenal live. The ’97’s are phenomenal live.Report

2. Avatar trizzlor

I’ve had the same conversation about the godawful politics going around. And yet I feel it’s like that Kids in the Hall Sketch about the bladder support group: where each member talks about how they won’t be tyrannized by their bladders and then periodically has to leave the room. For some reason, we’re all still here.Report

3. Avatar BlaiseP

What I listen to when I don’t want to think of anything.Report

4. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I heard this one for the first time in The Breakup. Since Vince Vaughn was also in Clay Pigeons one wonders if he influenced both soundtracks. It’s a really, really good song and I listen to it at least once a month in the car. Great choice!Report

5. Avatar Jonathan McLeod

Good choice, Sam.

By the way, a week or so ago I was wondering about the origin of the phrase ‘balls to the wall’. The only thing that makes sense to me is that it’s a baseball analogy.Report

6. Avatar Rufus F.

I probably listen to the Stooges when I want to unwind. Sometimes, I scream along to a Japanese band called Teengenerate that was my favorite group in the 90s. Honestly, though, when I want to unwind, I just call up the lads and go nuts:

7. Avatar dhex

the glyph-endorsed galaxie 500 is nice for a feel-good slow wash of kinda sad but not really pleasantries.

but if i need to unplug the brain for a while:
    Coil – 4-Indolol,3-[2-(Dimethylamino)Ethyl],Phosphate Ester

8. Avatar Glyph

I’ll split the difference between Rufus’ suggestion to blot it out with noise/aggression, and dhex’s solution of subsuming it in calming drone, and go with Spacemen 3 (aka “Stooges for Airports”).

Couldn’t find the live version from “Performance” which to me is definitive, but this will do:

I personally find this kind of white noise can be very calming; I have been known to put on stuff like this song, or JAMC’s “Psychocandy”, and fall right asleep.

You just *can’t* think too hard when this kind of music is abrading your brainwaves to dust; your only choice is submission.Report

9. Avatar Jonathan McLeod

This is something I used to listen to whenever I wanted to tune out. Sadly, I don’t have the album anymore, nor can I find it anywhere: