EU Gets The Nobel Peace Prize Jukebox And Weekend Open Thread

Jaybird

1. Avatar Jaybird

If the past is any indication, we can look forward to the EU droning the shit out of somebody.Report

2. Avatar Kolohe

That young woman in Pakistan that the Taliban has been after for years and was shot last week.

Chris Stevens and/or Richard Holbrooke, though I don’t know if you can give them out posthumously (though Stevens’ award nomination would have been before he died and possibly the vote as well)Report

3. Avatar Stillwater

I think I’d roll with the Lincoln Memorial over the EU. Maybe even the NYSE.

Oh, how about McDonalds. No two countries with a McDonald’s have ever gone to war, ya know.Report

4. Avatar Russell Saunders

I am super-bummed about the Peace Prize, because I totally had Europe down to take home the Physics money in my office Nobel pool.Report

5. Avatar Rtod

My understanding is that th NPP is similar to a Nobel, in as much as you’re recognized for a body of work; it is not meant to be Ben & Jerry’s MVP.

So while i may not agree with the decisions made by he committee, I think to say that the Dali Lama and Tutu “didn’t do anything” is pretty far off the mark.Report

6. Avatar Steve S.

So you get the Peace Prize for not initiating a world war in the recent past? Kind of like Obama got one because he hadn’t yet done anything atrocious? Awesome, that means I’m on the list. You all needn’t worry if I win, I’d spend the prize money on liquor and I’m a docile drunk.Report

7. Avatar Kolohe

Open thread peace theme:

I’d like all the public sector union champions to embrace this, in the name of solidarity, of course, as the public sector union is.Report

8. Avatar James Vonder Haar

I’m baffled by the opposition to this award. The creation of a superstate has undoubtedly been a contributing factor in pacifying a previously wartorn part of the world. While it overreached in attempting economic integration too swiftly, and may ultimately be responsible for the unraveling of the world economy, it remains one of the greatest success stories of engineering peace in the history of statecraft.Report

9. Avatar Pinky

I would have suspended the award for a year in recognition of the failure of the international community in their follow-through for Haitian aid. It wasn’t going to be an easy job; we all knew that. But things are desperate there even by Haiti standards.Report

10. Avatar Scott

Barry deserves another Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the feud between “American Idol” hosts Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.

Seriously, the prize is supposed to be awarded to those who have “done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.” If no one meets the standard then why award it that year? Clearly the committee has been hard up for candidates for the past two years.Report