Tuesday Morning Jukebox

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar North

Well that was very pretty.. what were they singing about tho? I missed the words… musta been distracted.Report

2. Avatar Rufus F.

More fuel for my theory that you can either be attractive or you can rock, but you can not do both.Report

• Avatar Erik Kain in reply to Rufus F.

Oh I disagree with this theory quite a bit. You can’t think of any attractive people who rock? Elvis? Scott Avett? Gillian Welch?

Of course, the point of this video is not to rock but rather to mock, so there’s that…Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Rufus F.

Support for your theory: The Stooges, The Stones, The Ramones, too many to count really.

Counterpoint/exception – he’s lost his damn mind now, but I used to be annoyed that Ryan Adams was both talented/rockin’ AND good-lookin’.

Here’s him doing what basically amounts to a Replacements song on Letterman:

He may still be good-lookin’ now for all I know , but it’s been a while since he ‘rocked’ like that.

Also, I am generally as straight as they come, but young Elvis, and young Bernard Sumner were attractive enough to convince me to possibly switch teams, even if only temporarily.

Does your theory only apply to male rock stars? I think you can find many more female exceptions to your theory.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Glyph

Well, the real challenge to my theory is David Bowie, although he was weird enough that it might have compensated. I’m not stepping into the minefield of which women rock or are attractive, though! I will say that my favorite female guitarist, Poison Ivy Rorschach, was in a band that started out looking like kids in a detention center.Report

3. Avatar Burt Likko

“Too white and too male?” Dude, this video featured nothing but white males!

…Young, athletic white males in swimwear displaying suggestive dance moves. So, um, enjoy the eye candy, gentleladies and thusly-inclined menfolk. Our man E.D. delivered the goods for you today!

But the irritation to me was that these were auto-tuned white males. Can they really sing or are they just hot? This video doesn’t answer that question. Auto-tune is why I haven’t become a Gleek.Report