Ketchup

Jason Kuznicki

Jason Kuznicki is a research fellow at the Cato Institute and contributor of Cato Unbound. He's on twitter as JasonKuznicki. His interests include political theory and history.

1. Avatar Uncular 1

I just made a batch of ketchup up earlier this summer. It has cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, cumin, & chili powder in it. If you’re from the southern Ohio/ northern Kentucky area you’d say it reminded you a bit of Cincinnati (Skyline) chili. Pretty good, but the other big issue is since it has no preservatives in it you only have a few weeks to enjoy it. I ended up with 7 – 1/2 pint jars, but my family just doesn’t eat enough ketchup condimented foods to use it up quickly enough! =/
    I’ll post the recipe later this afternoon.Report

• Avatar Jason Kuznicki in reply to Uncular 1

There are two viable options for preserving, freezing and canning.

Freezing has the advantage of being easy. Just pour into a Tupperware container and put it in the freezer.

Canning is more work, but who wouldn’t want a nice selection of mason jars full of artisanal ketchup for Christmas? Use caution, of course, with the fermented varieties.Report

• Avatar Uncular 1 in reply to Jason Kuznicki

Oh they’re canned, it’s just once I open one up we have trouble finishing a half pint (one cup) in a couple weeks. I am thinking about giving some as gifts, though. We’re vegetarians, so we don’t have as many ketchup opportunities (though it does go great on Tofurkey brats).Report

2. Avatar BlaiseP

I acquired a taste for what the Lao people call nam pa, fish sauce. When it was introduced, the Hmong took to the tomato with a will and began to do interesting things with it, which resemble something akin to ketchup, albeit not as blended. When the Hmong refugees arrived here, they would put ketchup in their fawm noodle soup, which you’d recognise from Vietnamese cuisine as pho.Report

3. Avatar damon

Compare this to a bottle of commercial ketsup. I’m betting it’s got HFCS in it. As always, it’s better to make it yourself.

I’ll have to eyeball these a bit more. Nice work.Report

4. Avatar Marchmaine

This being tomato season, my wife whipped up a batch of homemade fermented catsup… as uncular said, it had an excellent cinnamon/clove/nutmeg background that goes extremely well with butcher crafted Bratworst (where you can still taste the spices). In subsequent batches we further reduced the sweetness to make it even better. The fermenting extends its life a bit, so she typically makes a batch that lasts 30-45 days… about 3 per year; but hardly a hardship as catsup is not really eaten year round, or oughtn’t be.Report

5. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

Well, now you’ve given me something else to think about.Report

6. Avatar Burt Likko

In U.S. parlance, “ketchup” has come to be synonymous with the sweet, vinegary, viscous tomato product sold ubiquitously by Heinz. If the condiments described herein were called “sauces” or “remoulades” instead of ketchups, we wouldn’t think they were weird at all. Still labor-intensive for what you get and the sort of thing only a certain class of home cook will attempt, but not all that odd. “Walnut ketchup” gets you a skeptical “Watchootalkinbout, Willis?” look. “Walnut sauce,” an intrigued interest.

I note, though that the phrase “apple sauce” means a different kind of product entirely than the apple-mustard condiment described herein, so perhaps Italianizing or Hispanicizing it in that case makes more sense: salsa mele.Report

7. Avatar Kimmi

Oi! Next are we gonna do some posts about wood ash and cooking?Report

8. Avatar Shala Howell

My 5YO daughter and I made a batch of old-timey catsup based on the Tomato Catsup #2 recipe from Marion Harland etal’s 1905 New England Cookbook. We had a great time at every stage of the process, from translating the measurements in the recipe to their modern equivalents (a tablespoonful back in 1905 meant different things depending on what you were measuring) to cooking for hours and tasting the end result on a variety of ketchup-friendly foods. And in line with your premise in this post, the resulting catsup was pretty thin and it tasted a lot more like A1 than Heinz.

Delicious. Come to think of it, it’s probably time to make another batch while tomatoes are still in season and my husband is still in the mood to grill steaks on the weekend.

You can find my write-up of the experience here: “How did they make old-timey catsup: A Caterpickles Investigative Report”Report

9. Avatar hazemyth

If you live in (or visit) Brooklyn, check out the house-made Ketchup at Benchmark, in Park Slope. So Good.Report

10. Avatar dhex

apple ketchup + grilled chicken seems like an interesting idea.Report

11. Avatar balthan

I like the curry ketchup that’s popular in Germany. It goes great with fries.Report

12. Avatar Roger

I never touch the stuff. It is salsa for me, and salsa only!Report