LeagueCast: Values, Pluralism and Public Reason
The next episode of LeagueCast will go live this Wednesday, 19th of September, 6PM PST. We will be discussing Values, Pluralism and Public Reason. Shoot me an email at email@example.com if you want to join in. There are an estimated 5 places left so book your slot today!!!
Some Homework for the LeagueCast participants:
It’s not a good idea for people to be put on the spot or only consider ideas for the first time when they are live and facing a camera. To that end, here are some things that everyone may want to think about.
1. To what extent do Conservatives and/or Progressives appeal to values that not everyone shares? What are these values?
2. Conversely, what are the values that everyone does share?
3. Public reason requires us to appeal to reasons that everyone has reasonable access to. To what extent is this feasible?
4. Public reason requires us to refrain from appealing to the full truth as we see it. To what extent is this desirable?
5. If not public reason, then how else can we have a stable society where citizens regard each other as free and equal?
Special homework for Tod Kelly: To what extent is the average “values voter” willing to exert the discipline required to appeal only to reasons that everyone (or almost everyone) shares?