Friday Jukebox: Live Blues Edition

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar dexter says:

Try KPCP 88.3. It is a low wattage station based in New Roads that plays old blues and rag all the time. It is truly a good station.
    Just think, if it weren’t for the blues we could not have had all those british guitar gods.Report

2. Avatar dexter says:

Oops, I just assumed you would try the net. The station is so weak I can barely catch it in Baker and that ain’t far for crows.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

The stream actually isn’t that loud either, but when I crank my speakers up all the way it’s good. I got 45 minutes of good stuff before I had to run out to a later afternoon meeting.Report

3. While we’re talking LA blues, try Professor Longhair or James Booker.

Longhair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQcNXpldW8

Booker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQhihjUXcNkReport

4. Avatar BlaiseP says:

Listening to Cat Power’s Sun. Tremendous stuff, after all this time. Very different from anything she’s done to date. Lots of old synth love, hear those old compressors pumping away to deal with those naked square wave VCOs. Wouldn’t want to have mastered this album.

Chan Marshall’s back in the saddle. Sure thought she’d fallen off, as strange as she’d gotten.Report

5. Avatar DensityDuck says:

You’d think that Barrett Brown would have learned about posting people’s private contact information on the Internet after he got kicked out of here. Apparently not.Report

6. Avatar Glyph says:

Burt – I had never seen footage of Howlin’ Wolf before. Never realized what a big dude he was. The Son House footage was cool too, Rufus.

Thanks, guys.Report