Gooses and Gander and Whatnot
I threw in some random thoughts during the GOP’s Convention last week and thought it only fair I do the same for the Democrats.
- I noticed some U-S-A chants during the speech given by the double-amputee veteran’s speech. These might have been a bit more justifiable given that the woman speaking was a vet but, still, I wonder… Who are we versus?
- All of the call-and-response was a bit much. Even Zazzy, who generally wishes all politics just went away (perhaps she is the most libertarian among us?) started to mock it, deliberately calling out the wrong ones at the wrong times. To me, it felt like reading a story book with my children. “FORWARD NOT BACK!” “ROMNEY SAID NO!” Srsly, folks?
- I thought Julian Castro’s speech was phenomenal, minus the previously discussed nonsense. Again, I’m sure there are plenty of places for folks to quibble and argue, but as an orator, he was impressive. And, naturally, I loved his emphasis on education. He seems to have a real future, though I admit to always being a bit creeped out by identical twins.
- I dosed off during Michelle Obama’s speech, which was entirely a function of it being the first day of school and nothing to do with her. I thought what I heard was really good. Both candidates’ wives delivered the goods, albeit in different ways.
- Regarding Mrs. Obama, sometimes I wonder how much she wants to scream, “I HAVE DEGREES FROM PRINCETON AND HARVARD! I AM A HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL LAWYER! I’M THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE ROOM 99% OF THE TIME AND THAT INCLUDES WHEN IT’S JUST BARACK AND I! AND I’VE BEEN REDUCED TO TALKING ABOUT LETTUCE! I’M GOING TO KILL EVERYONE!” Maybe I’m way off, but I get the sense that her talent and ambition makes taking on the First Lady role a bit difficult. And I don’t mean to belittle the role of the First Lady. I only mean that, all things being equal, I bet she’d rather be doing other things. It is also entirely possible that previous First Ladies were just as accomplished and/or ambitious and there is nothing unique about what I presume to be her predicament. I totally cop to being a relative noob on politics and often assuming something is setting a precedent when that is not at all the case.