Weekend jukebox and trivia

Murali

Murali did his undergraduate degree in molecular biology with a minor in biophysics from the National University of Singapore (NUS). He then changed direction and did his Masters in Philosophy also at NUS. Now, he is currently pursuing a PhD in Philosophy at the University of Warwick.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

Peter Cetera is one of life’s great guilty pleasures.Report

• Avatar Rtod says:

I think you left out the first part of that sentence: Imagining yourself going back in time and preventinand convincing Chicago to never hire…Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW
        YOU’LL TAKE AWAY THE BIGGEST PART OF ME
        OOO OOO OOOOOO NO BABY PLEASE DON’T GO
        AND IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW
        YOU’LL TAKE AWAY THE VERY HEART OF ME
        OOO OOO OOOOOO NO BABY PLEASE DON’T GO
        OOO OOO OOOOOO GIRL I JUST WANT YOU TO STAY

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

His voice grates on me. I always preferred Robert Lamm.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

He works for me, though. It comes across as “soulful”.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I feel the same way, even though I know I’m in the minority. After all, the Cetera era was the mega-stardom era. But I never forgave them for abandoning this sound for their Top 40 sound:

• Avatar FridayNext says:

I agree 100%. In my mind I have convinced myself these are two different bands and I sort them accordingly on my iPod. I call one Chicago Transit Authority, for the earlier jazz and blues stuff and just Chicago for the later pop stuff. Not 100% accurate, but it works for me.

Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall is one of the best live albums ever.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Man, that is almost creepy – everything you just wrote is exactly what I do – including the Transit Authority part. And the Carnegie Hall album is still my very favorite of anything they’ve ever done. I like those versions more than I do the studio versions.Report

2. Avatar FridayNext says:

3 Men and a Baby?Report

• Avatar NewDealer says:

It is certainly an 80s or at least pre-Grunge 90s movie.

Oh the 80s and early 90s. I was born in 1980 and have strange fascination with experiencing the time period as a 20 or early 30 something, I have no idea why. Same with being prime-Gen X and being in my 20s during 1992-1995.Report

• Avatar FridayNext says:

I’m pretty sure I am right. In the early 90’s I tended bar at this real dive that had a broken down VCR and three tapes; this one, Hudson Hawk, and The Last Boy Scout. The day drunks loved watching them over and over. Though I have managed to suppress most of the memories of those 3 execrable movies, every once in awhile I will find a little bit of factoid in my brain stuck there like a chunck from last night’s vomit hanging out between your teeth and I have to floss it the hell out of there. The posting of those two movies sent me into total flashback mode. At least he didn’t post Ted Danson singing My Girl.Report

• Avatar Murali says: