NFL Football Contest!
Summer’s winding down, and Labor Day’s just around the corner, which means that it’s just about time for football.
I was thinking this year we might have a contest to see whose professional gridiron predictive abilities got game. The winner, of course, get’s the ultimate prize: bragging rights for an entire insufferable off-season.
Here are the rules:
You must list, before September 1, give your predictions for the following:
- The NFC Champion : (5 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
- The AFC Champion : (5 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
- The Super Bowl Winner : (10 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
- The QB with Most Total Yard : (5 points)
- The NFL Team with the Most Turnovers : (10 points)
- First Coach Fired: (10 points)
- The First Benched QB* : (10 points)
- The first NFL Player arrested for any offense, including DUI: (15 points)
That makes for a total of 100 possible points, including bonus points.
In the event of a tie, a winner will be chosen by their answer to this last question:
The one word or phrase that will best describe the 2012-13 NFL season will be ______.
Tie-breakers will be based on a subjective combination of accuracy, originality, and entertainment value – as judged by me. Because of this, I will not be eligible to play, for which you should consider yourselves lucky: I haven’t made a correct football pick of any kind in over a decade, so I am really due.
Your predictions can be made either here in this post, or in an email to: email@example.com. At the start of the seasons, I will post all predictions that were emailed.
Also, feel free to use this thread as an excuse to make wildly optimistic claims about your team’s chances and trash talk your team’s rivals.
UPDATE: I should note that in the case of “First benched QB” the correct answer will be the QB that starts on the first game of the regular season, but is replaced as a starter in some subsequent week due to poor performance. I thought I should be clear, so someone benched for the last quarter, or to get test on a potential injury, etc. are not erroneously thought to be the winner… er, loser of this part of the contest.