Maybe The Fish All Died

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering litigator. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Recovering Former Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Is it okay if I agree that this is totally un-newsworthy – especially a year after the fact! – and yet still find myself in awe that an elected official decides it’s a good idea to take all of his clothes off in that situation, with that group of people, on that particular trip?

Hey, no harm no foul… but if this guy turns up in some impulse-control-related scandal a year or two down the road, I will not be overly shocked.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Tod Kelly says:

I have just cross-pollinated my comments. 🙂Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Tod Kelly says:

Totally in agreement with Tod, except to say that I’m more likely to vote for someone who does have a few drinks and decide to jump in the Sea of Galilee than someone who abstains from either activity.

And the Democratic response is a classic of de rigeur political posturing:

“Republican leaders knew that these House Republicans’ behavior was inappropriate and wrong, but kept the FBI investigation under wraps for more than a year,” DCCC communications director Jesse Ferguson wrote. “What other inappropriate, embarrassing behavior have Republican Members of Congress been engaged in that Republican Leaders are keeping under wraps? It’s getting harder and harder to keep track of this House of Scandal given how many House Republicans face FBI investigations.”

I love how he manages to get the word “Republican” out 5 times in only 3 sentences. I guess someone might have missed the message if he’d limited himself to a mere 1 Republican-mention per sentence.Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to James Hanley says:

“What other inappropriate, embarrassing behavior have Republican Members of Congress been engaged in that Republican Leaders are keeping under wraps?”

Well, I heard that last week, Congressmen Taylor TOTALLY made out with Congresswomen Kathy and Congresswoman Samantha TOTALLY found out and she TOTALLY has a crush on Taylor but he totally doesn’t have a crush on her. AND THEN Congresswoman Kathy went and made out with Congressman Hunter, but Hunter was just using her to get back at Congresswoman Samantha, who had a big keg party when Senator Johnson was out of town and didn’t invite Congressman Hunter.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Tod Kelly says:

As it turns out, this is not the biggest bonehead play by a Republican Congressman from the midwest to come to light. In the last twenty-four hours, I mean.Report

2. Avatar Kazzy says:

As they say, the cover-up is worse than the crime. Of course, the crime here is barely a crime at all. Bad judgement, at the very worst. But, yea, no harm, no foul. It would have been wiser if, when asked about it, they just said, “Ya know what? We were having some fun with the locals. Everyone enjoyed a good laugh.” But I can’t really fault them for getting their panties in a bunch about who did or didn’t have panties on.Report

3. In all seriousness, though, is anyone else bothered by the fact that the FBI leaked this information? I frankly find it brazenly political and outrageous.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird says:

If God wanted us to be naked, he wouldn’t have made garments of skin for Adam and Eve when he kicked them out of the Garden.Report

5. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

I have zero problem with it. LBJ, the very embodiment of modern liberalism, would frequently swim naked in the WH pool while having strategy meetings with staffers. He was also known to give interviews to the press while laying in bed in his pajamas. This seems tame by comparison.

I agree with Tod though that there may be some impulse-control issues at play here. In 2012 that stuff doesn’t go over well, at least not in the Holy Land.Report

6. Avatar J.L. Wall says:

This is totally not tznius. I expect the Haredi parties, if not the religious settler movement as well, to repudiate the Republican Party within a matter of days.

I mean … the religious right DID freak out over the “OMG RAHM ATE THE SHRIMPS!” incident a couple of years ago. (If you missed it, here: http://trueslant.com/nealungerleider/2010/05/25/israeli-extremists-attack-rahm-emanuels-seafood-meal/)Report

7. Avatar BlaiseP says:

There’s a bizarre bit of the Bible, in John 21, where Jesus finds a naked Peter in the Sea of Galilee….Report

8. Avatar Chris says:

At least he didn’t sleep with a woman who’s not his wife. If he had, I’d want to know, because it’s totally my business, but skinny dipping is a private thing between the dude’s naked body and the poor water that has to touch it.Report

9. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Actually, it appears that the initial story is just as fishy (sorry!) as it sounded. Mike Grimm is not being investigated for skinny dipping, he’s being investigated for corruption:

10. The truth is, they were drunk enough to believe that they too could walk on water.

Sadly this proved not to be the case.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Nob Akimoto says:

I don’t quite get how the Christians in the group thought it would be a holy experience to immerse themselves in the water. Jesus walked on top of it, and when Peter immersed himself it was a great disappointment to ol’ JC.Report

11. Avatar Kimmi says:

noting that this is in fact another country, but where I come from, people get arrested for public nudity. not that I agree to such laws, in any country (however practical they may be).Report

• Avatar Rod in reply to Kimmi says:

In principle I agree. But I remember a nude beach in Spain from my Navy days. The hot little 20-somethings were great. The grandmas and grandpas… not so much.

On balance, I and my stomach are in favor of laws against public nudity. Just sayin’…Report