What (New) Documentaries Should People Watch?

Ethan Gach

I write about comics, video games and American politics. I fear death above all things. Just below that is waking up in the morning to go to work. You can follow me on Twitter at @ethangach or at my blog, gamingvulture.tumblr.com. And though my opinions aren’t for hire, my virtue is.

1. Avatar Kimmi

Ya seen Jesus Camp yet?
    … the thing to think about is where they got all the footage.
    those hidden cameras were installed by the church itself.Report

2. Avatar Mike Dwyer

This is not new but it’s my favorite documentary of all time (technically it’s almost like a video journal). It’s called “Alone in the Wilderness”. If you like the outdoors even a little this will absolutely blow you away.

3. Avatar Jonathan McLeod

I’ve been tempted to watch Hit So Hard and Anyone Can Play Guitar, but I can’t claim to know if they’re any good.Report

4. Avatar Rufus F.

I don’t think I’ve seen one of Werner Herzog’s documentaries that I haven’t enjoyed quite a bit. Little Dieter Needs to Fly was probably my favorite.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Rufus F.

From Herzog: I really enjoyed Cave of Forgotten Dreams, which I believe is his most recent one. It’s streaming on Netflix, so it’s easy to get. If you want an older one, My Best Fiend is awesome, particularly if you’re a fan of Aguirre, the Wrath of God, and Fitzcarraldo (one of my favorite movies).Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Chris

Oh yeah, I love them too. I’ve shown Aguirre in a couple of courses now. Actually, that reminds me, it’s not brand new, but Touching the Void is a really entertaining documentary.Report

• Avatar Tom Van Dyke in reply to Rufus F.

I’m assuming everybody is up on Burden of Dreams, about the filming of Fitzcarraldo. Dude is wack.

“For nearly five years, acclaimed German filmmaker Werner Herzog desperately tried to complete one of the most ambitious and difficult films of his career, Fitzcarraldo, the story of one man’s attempt to build an opera house deep in the Amazon jungle. Documentary filmmaker Les Blank captured the unfolding of this production, made more perilous by Herzog’s determination to shoot the most daunting scenes without models or special effects, including a sequence requiring hundreds of native Indians to pull a full-size, 320-ton steamship over a small mountain. The result is an extraordinary document of the filmmaking process and a unique look into the single-minded mission of one of cinema’s most fearless directors.”Report

5. Avatar Pub Editor

I have heard good things about Last Train Home, about migrant industrial workers in China, but I have not seen it myself yet. It might fall into your category of “those documentaries which depict the worst kinds of social injustice,” but maybe not. Here is one review.Report

6. Avatar Conor P. Williams

How about “A State of Mind?” It’s a fascinating take on North Korea’s “Mass Games.”

7. Avatar Joe Sims

• Paradise Garden: Howard Finster’s Legacy – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2380121/

• Fools on the Hill – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1826692/

• Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1546381/

• Cup of Dreams – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1848838/

• Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2104994/

• Inside Job – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/

• Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1545103/Report

8. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Another documentary I really like is this one:

It’s called ‘The Dark Side”. PBS Frontline documentary. Tells the real story of how we eneded up in Iraq. Very enlightening.Report

9. Avatar Tod Kelly

King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters

Grizzly ManReport

• Avatar Chris in reply to Tod Kelly

Grizzly Man is just too fishing depressing. You realize quickly that you’re watching two trains on a collision course, and to make it even worse, you know that another train (his girlfriend) is going to get caught up in it. I say watch Cave of Forgotten Dreams, because 30,000 year old cave paintings never ate anyone.Report

• Avatar greginak in reply to Tod Kelly

Grizzly Man was hard to watch. The incident and doc got a lot of coverage up here. None of it postive for the poor deluded dude. It was worth watching though if only for the intense scene with the bears fighting.Report

• Avatar Scott in reply to Tod Kelly

King Kong was very interesting. Those guys have put quite a bit of their life into beating the game.Report

10. Avatar Tom Van Dyke

2016, of course. Before it’s too late.

11. Avatar greginak

Herzog’s Encounter’s at the End of the World was very good.Report

12. Avatar Scott

I would recommend The Way We Get By. It is a documentary about the men and women who greet and say goodbye to the troops at the airport in Bangor Maine.Report

13. Avatar E.C. Gach

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Herzog? Never realized he was such a hit. Perhaps a Herzog viewing clubs at some point (or other Documentary viewings).

Might actually be kinda fun to watch one and then all discuss it over the ensuing days.Report

14. Avatar Anne

Husband wants me to go see “2016” by Dinesh D’Sousa anyone heard anything about it? My gut instinct is I don’t want to see it.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Anne

I am probably more sympathetic to D’Souza’s politics than you are, and I definitely don’t want to see that one.Report

• Avatar Anne in reply to Will Truman

Thanks Will, any concrete reasons why?Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Anne

To the extent that I am familiar with D’Souza’s take on Obama, I don’t find it remarkably compelling in light of the fact that we’ve had approaching four years of Obama-as-president to have some idea of what his ramifications are. I might have seen it in 2008 (I read Fredosso’s anti-Obama book) and the influence of Obama’s heritage on his policy preferences might make for an interesting evaluation at some point after his presidency (a sort of what-made-the-president tick), but the timing of it suggests that it’s purpose is less to understand, or to speculate (on what kind of president Obama might be), but rather influence an election by way of a non-falsfiable thesis in a movie released on an election year.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Anne

“[The film] is not a crude bashing of Obama. … It’s a journey to find the real Obama. Obama [has been] a mystery figure for the past four years – mystery as to what his underlining goal is for America and for the world,” D’Souza said in an interview with The Daily Caller.

What is up with this repetition of the meme that we don’t know who Obama is? Do conservatives actually believe this crap is true? Honestly, I’m more comfortable with the idea that they know it’s all BS but think it might work electorally than I am with the idea that they’re actually all puttin’ on the (tin)foil.Report