Anniversary!

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Miss Mary

Congrats!!! So many things in life to celebrate. I’m glad you stopped to enjoy a milestone and share your thoughts.Report

2. Avatar Murali

Yeah, receiving commentary does give me a rushReport

3. Avatar Jonathan McLeod

FYI, your ‘Waterworld’ posts are some of my favourites.Report

4. Avatar North

Many happy returns old boy.Report

5. Avatar Kyle Cupp

You are gentleman and a scholar, sir.Report

6. Avatar James Hanley

Happy anniversary, Tod. And FWIW, your growing up with guns post was one of the most compelling pieces of writing I’ve ever seen on a blog, hands down.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

Happy Anniversary! This place would be somewhere else entirely if you weren’t here.Report

8. Avatar Plinko

Congrats, on a year, Tod!

I want to echo Jonathan’s admiration for a lot of your ‘Waterworld’ posts, that’s been a lot of great stuff. I find it hard to believe you’d not been writing all those years, the stuff you’ve published has consistently been quite excellent by any standard. I think there often just isn’t much to argue about in them, hence the relative silence from the commentariat.Report

9. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Congrats Tod. I echo all of your thoughts. Writing here makes me feel equally lucky. Your posts are among my favorites and I’m glad we are ‘colleagues’. I share your frustration about ‘Waterworld posts’ (you’ve probably coined a new term) but the important thing to remember is that they are all being read and enjoyed. Your stuff is great and you should feel very proud of the work you have done in the last year.

Looking forward to year two.Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Mike Dwyer

Let’s not get too carried away with the analogy Mike. Waterworld the movie received zero attention because it was horrible. But lot’s of posts – many that you write for example – are very good, and reading them is a pleasure, despite the lack of commentary they engender. Sometimes there isn’t any easy entry to commenting other than to say “Nice post”.

If you want comments, try writing a post linking the second amendment restrictions caused the global warming hoax while simultaneously justifying abortion.Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to Stillwater

True dat. Every once in a while I feel an impulse to try and create a super-comment post like that but merging hot button topics. I twirl my mustache and then come to my senses.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Stillwater

Judiciously applied abortion policy could easily get the planet back down to a much more manageable 2 billion people which would have a much smaller global footprint, much smaller energy needs, and open up a lot of space that could then be returned to nature and grow plants that would sequester CO2 *AND* provide hunting ground.

It’d take fewer than four generations to do this, by my back-of-the-envelope calculations.Report

10. Avatar Russell Saunders

You know how much I love your writing. It boggles my mind that you’ve only been here a year, since I simply can’t imagine the place without you. And I am incredibly happy to call you my friend, as well.

Happy anniversary.Report

11. Avatar Mark Thompson

Congrats, Tod! It’s been a “space awesome” year! Though I believe the correct title for this post in internet lingo is supposed to be “Blog-iversary!”

And on the whole “Waterworld” phenomenon, I’ve been trying to figure that out myself since this joint started. Before the commenting culture had fully developed, and a good chunk of the feedback we got was from outside links, I had made it my mission to figure out exactly why certain posts got a lot of linkage and traffic, and others didn’t. Included in that mission was trying to figure out why, when we got Dish links, certain of those links resulted in thousands of pageviews, while others resulted in just a few dozen. It took a solid two years before I just gave up.

Once you reach a certain level of bewilderment, the temptation is to conclude that the number of pageviews/comments is in inverse proportion to the quality of post*, but that’s not correct, either – a lot of times, you do wind up with lots of pageviews and comments on posts that you put a lot of effort into. The next temptation is to figure that it’s largely a function of subject matter – hot button topics obviously will get more traffic than other topics. This is surely a big part of it, but even there, I’ve had throwaway hot button posts that have gotten little traffic, and throwaway hot button posts that have gotten massive traffic; I’ve also had really considered hot button posts with lots of traffic, and really considered hot button posts with little traffic.

I’d like to say that at some point, you just accept that it’s not possible to figure it all out (because it’s not!) and stop getting frustrated and flummoxed when that post you worked on for days gets 15 comments, no links, and 200 pageviews. But that would be a lie.

The best I’ve been able to do is to recognize that there are certain commenters whose opinions I hold in especially high regard, because they usually disagree with me, but also usually do a great job of really honing in on the weak spots of my posts when they do. If just one of those commenters provides positive feedback on a post where I presumed they would disagree with me, then I can feel confident that it was a good post. Of course, the next problem is, having concluded something was a good post, it’s a little annoying to see that no one outside the site is reading it.

*For example, compare the number of comments I got on two separate posts I did on Honduras:

The second post has since actually wound up with a lot of pageviews, but only because of Google Images searches; it got only a handful of pageviews on the substance.Report

12. Avatar Burt Likko

Happy anniversary and keep up the great work, my friend. Your participation in our community is intensely valuable and you embody the ideals of the Gentlemanly spirit to which the blog as a whole aspires.Report

13. Avatar Maribou

Happy anniversary! You are a delight to read and to know.

As far as Waterworld posts, what I told Jay once (and I think Patrick has said the same thing on MD): You have to be at least a bit wrong to get comments. By which I mean, commenters here are reluctant to just say “Oh, good show, old chap!” – they want to have something substantive to contribute. If a post is nigh perfect, it’s hard to find a substantive response, beyond appreciation, and so the people who read it don’t tend to comment; while if it’s got obvious flaws, well, time to dig in! The way the comment system works is great for foregrounding comments and thus encouraging discussion. However, it also tends to obscure posts that haven’t gotten many comments yet, making pageviews less likely. People are less likely to link to perfect things, too, than they are to things they wish to disagree stridently with.

Jaybird doesn’t buy this theory, but I am increasingly confident of it.Report

14. Avatar Snarky McSnarkSnark

Hey Tod — congratulations from a fan. I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

When are you getting started on that novel?Report

15. Avatar Erik Kain

Tod, it’s obvious to anyone with an eye for talent (and I believe I do have that) that you’re a natural born writer. You’ve got the gift, and I could see that plainly after you’re first few guest posts. No bewilderment from where I’m standing.Report

16. Avatar Michelle

Happy first anniversary, Tod. It’s been a delight reading your posts. You’ve covered so many different subjects so well, although my favorite will likely always be the post on your parents’ second date.

Looking forward to year two.Report

17. Avatar MikeSchilling

I used to enjoy your writing, but ever since I learned that you think they’re called “Volgons”, I can no support you. I am canceling my subscription.Report

18. Avatar Wardsmith

Happy blogoversary Tod. Not only do I enjoy your writing I even enjoy your freudian slips. Keep up the great work. And don’t be so harsh on Waterworld, Kevin had to do /something/ to make Postman not be his Worst movie 😉Report

19. Avatar Johanley

As primarily a lurker, I do indeed often read your post. Happy one year of writing here!Report

20. Avatar ktward

Those who despise personal reflection, navel gazing and gooey acknowledgements of gratitude would be wise to turn back now.

Granted, the penchant for navel gazing around here occasionally gets under my skin. But I’ve largely come to accept it as an inescapable by-product of the Extraordinary stuff that happens here among the Ordinary folks. Gotta take the good with the bad.

I don’t get the chance to stop by nearly as often as I’d like, but I am a most reliable lurker and I do indeed like lurking on your posts, Mr. Kelly: writing is fab and always promises a fascinating thread. Many thanks to your family for sharing you.Report

21. Avatar Rose Woodhouse

Tod, I’m part of your Waterworld problem. I read and think “dig the post,” but don’t say anything. And I, too, am a lousy predictor of which posts will take off. Kids with special needs and philosophy excepting aesthetics are not very hot topics, and abortion is not quite as hot as one would think. That’s about all I’ve figured out. And who could have guessed about Rush?

I love reading your posts and your comments on mine. You’re a big reason that I’ve really enjoyed writing here. You are a rare combination of very kind and insightful and funny.

Happy anniversary!Report