Tinkering

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Aaron W

Editable comments? Can’t we have edible comments instead? Just don’t eat the trolls.Report

2. Avatar Chris

My girlfriend’s father was Ray Charles’ valet back in the early 60s, and his manager after that. They were lifetime friends, and he (my girlfriend’s dad) spoke at Charles’ funeral. You should hear some of the stories.Report

3. Avatar Pierre Corneille

I probably liked the old formatting better, although I should confess that I haven’t donated any money to the site. I might, but I’ll say that whether I do or not will have to do with whether I can afford the (very small) amount I’d likely donate than whether I like the formatting.

In other words, it’s probably better to heed your paying customers and not me.Report

• I’ll just add, I like the fact that there are more “off the cuff” comments visible. Sometimes I want to go back to one of those threads but have difficulty finding it because I forget the author and there hasn’t been a comment recently.

I just discovered this feature of the new formatting.Report

4. Avatar Snarky McSnarkSnark

It’s looking pretty good!

Just for the record, if you go look at past OPs, many of them are missing their comments altogether. This could be because the links from the Google search used to find them are no longer valid, and will be fixed next time the site is spidered. But it’s something to watch out for…Report

5. Avatar James Hanley

Erik,

Here’s my two cents.

1. The man at top left has part of his body cut off with a hard line; that looks weird. On my wife’s Ipad, using Safari, his body is obliterated and all that remains is his top hat hovering above the title.

2. The loop in the g hanging down over “gentlemen” is really distracting. It looks like you’ve put a magnifying glass over the t in gentlemen, and it draws the eye there, to no good purpose.

3. What’s the image in that bar? An industrial city in the pre-Clean Air Act era? I can’t really make it out, but it’s damned depressing.Report

• Avatar Erik Kain in reply to James Hanley

1. This depends on screen size entirely. I’m working with it so that he disappears on smaller screens entirely, but if that doesn’t work I may just include him with the logo.

2. You don’t like that? I kind of do, but I’ll blame Mr. Truman who came up with it (and a bunch of other ones) and only me a bit for saying this one was the best. We may tinker some more if it bugs people.

3. Still trying to find the perfect one, but I’m going for the bowler-hat aesthetic and something Dickensian felt right.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Erik Kain

Ah, nobody listens to Will Truman! But my wife the graphic designer says having text-over-text is tricky because of the tendency to be distracting. To be fair, at first glance it does look kind of neat, but then I realize my eye kept gravitating to it, and focusing on just that point instead of on the title as a whole.

I get the bowler hat aesthetic, but Dickensian (and you nailed that), just seems…dour, dismal. It just smacks–to me–of deep Marxist seriousness, a place where jokes are frowned upon as being too bourgeois. Obviously the blog’s anything but that. Unless you’re really going to enforce Mark’s ban on puns.Report

• Avatar MikeSchilling in reply to Erik Kain

I’d go more for Bertie Wooster than Dickens. Or think Eustace Tilley.Report

6. Avatar James Hanley

P.S. On Safari, the bar doesn’t go all the way across the screen, but only halfway across the far right column.Report

7. Avatar Kazzy

HATE!!!! the new logo, fyi.Report

8. Avatar Kazzy

Erik-

Would it be possible to have post specific Gifts of Gab? Form instance, the main page, we see all the recent FP comments via GoG. But if I click on an actual post, I can get a separate GoG for just that article. For instance, the GoG for this post right here would only have comments for “Tinkering”, even if they are older than comments on ther FP posts. Clicking back to the main page returns me to the traditional GoG. Just a thought….Report