But We’ve Already Met

Sam Wilkinson

According to a faithful reader, I'm Ordinary Times's "least thoughtful writer." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

1. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

> Do I Have Any Skill At Writing Personal Introductions?

Clearly false. You included a cast iron skillet re-seasoning recipe.Report

2. Avatar Murali

Welcome Sam! Sam, if I am vegetarian and don’t have any pork, what do you suggest are good alternatives?Report

• Avatar cfpete in reply to Murali

Use a monounsaturated vegetable oil with a relatively high smoke point.
      Monounsaturated because polyunsaturated fats are more prone to rancidity.
      I am not a vegetarian but don’t like to use lard for seasoning because the pan will start to smell without constant use.
      Canola oil is good because it is cheap and relatively tasteless.
      I tried peanut oil once but everything cooked in the pan had a distinct peanuty taste.
      You need to apply the oil in a thin layer and repeat the heating process four or five times.
      Here is link for info: Cast IronReport

• Avatar Sam in reply to Murali

I would recommend you use whatever oil you most often cook with. We cook most with olive oil, so that’s what I use. Apply before the baking process, and again afterward, and you should be reasonably ready to go.

Worth noting: clean only with water. No soap.Report

• Avatar cfpete in reply to Sam

Agree with no soap in cleaning.
        I use coarse salt and a stiff bamboo brush to remove any leftover food debris – then rinse, dry and oil for storage.Report

• Avatar Sam in reply to cfpete

You’re cleaner than I am. I use a thin metal spatula to scrape off the bits, rinse, and oil. If something remains, it usually liquefies when heat is applied. (Oh, and incidentally, yet another reason to like cast-iron is that you can use metal cooking implements without irreversible damage to the pan.)

CF – where are you on brands? People around here genuinely seem to care about branding (Griswold, mostly). It drives me crazy.Report

• Avatar cfpete in reply to Sam

Brands? I am in the south so most of what I have is Lodge. All bought at flea markets with copious amounts of surface rust for about $2 – $5 a piece.
            I think I did pay $15 for a giant camp dutch oven.
            I have one Griswold skillet and I really can’t see any difference.
            I believe Griswold has more cache because of its value as a collectible.

Someone gave me a cast iron griddle made by All-Clad. Damn thing cracked the second time it was used.

The funny thing is that the best cast iron, the most valuable cast iron, the most antique cast iron – will have no branding at all.Report

• Avatar Sam in reply to cfpete

I’m baffled by the loyalty to Griswold. I’ve had some – gifted to me by family members who insist that I’m getting the best of the best – and I’ve always soon passed it on to the next person. It strikes me as thin and flimsy and not what I’m looking for, which is heavy and porous.Report

3. Avatar Russell Saunders

I am utterly delighted you’re Officially Here.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

Awesome. Welcome!Report

5. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Welcome aboard Sam!Report

6. Avatar James Hanley

Good choice for a new OG. I’ve enjoyed your guest posts.Report

7. Avatar Jonathan McLeod

“…and cats are awful”

Clearly, I can get behind this. Welcome.Report

8. Avatar Miss Mary

It’s nice to meet you, Sam. I think your introduction is lovely.Report

9. Avatar Mike Schilling

Welcome aboard!Report

10. Avatar Rtod

Finally, the League can put behind it the querulous slur that we refuse to take on the divisive issue of skillet seasoning.

Welcome Sam!Report

11. Avatar Mark Thompson

I don’t understand why more people don’t use more cast-iron.

This is a vastly more important issue than whether there is an objective difference between good and bad art. We shall be friends. However, please note that this makes you my wife’s mortal enemy.Report

12. Avatar Mike Schilling

If you do this successfully, you can have a piece of non-stick cookware that will last you for the rest of your life at a total cost of whatever you paid for the used skillet plus a few bucks for supplies and electricity.

Was the bacon free, or can we infer something about the awful stray cats?Report

• Avatar Sam in reply to Mike Schilling

This is a good point, although the bacon counts as supplies. In this one specific case you don’t necessarily want to eat this bacon, because you want to cook all of the fat right out of it. I’m not talking about burning the bacon into the pan necessarily, but as close as you’re willing to come. It isn’t very appetizing afterward although you can plainly tell from the early part of this sentence that I’ve certainly tried what’s been left behind.Report

13. Avatar Sam

It’d be overboard to say this individually, so let me simply say thank you for being so welcoming and enthusiastic.Report

14. Avatar Nathan

The *really* hard part is finding a good (by which I mean what most people think is bad) spatula. What is necessary is a flimsy-ish, but not too flimsy metal spatula with a flat edge. Rounded edges can’t scrape efficiently. Older spatulas were more likely to be like this. I have one good old wood-handled one, and one newer plastic handled one. Plastic sucks. If you leave it leaning against the pan it will melt. What a mess.
    People don’t buy these anymore because they cook in teflon or whatever. ick. Then they wonder why they are iron-deficient. So all we get are flimsy plastic spatulas that can’t scrape or melt.
    If you know where I can find a good old spatula, I’ll be in your debt.Report