Some quick thoughts on the SCOTUS Obamacare decision…

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Roger says:

The path to good, affordable health care is now pretty clear.

Get coverage in another country. Take care of routine and emergency needs in the US, and spend a few hundred dollars in airfaire when needing expensive planned procedures.Report

• Avatar Kimmi says:

… bullshit. you want artificial reconstructive surgery, you want a new gallbladder? you is coming here. You think we don’t get plenty of folks from the Middle East and plenty of other places???

You haven’t had the conversation: “He’s from egypt. is he african, asian, caucasian”
      “the government doesn’t care. they only care about American minorities”Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

Kimmi, You’ve never heard of medical tourism? There’s a hospital in, iirc, Bangkok that was western-built and only hires western trained doctors. Costs are so low that it’s cheaper to fly there and pay out of pocket for many procedures than to have it done in the U.S.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

We’d looked at medical tourism as a possibility for fertility treatment, if it was required.Report

• Avatar Morat20 says:

Fertility treatments being, amusingly, one of the things 99% of insurance plans don’t cover.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

Yeah, if it was covered, we’d just let the insurance company pay for it!

(Of course, if pregnancy-related bills are any indication, we might not tell them about it and just sneak off to India for the treatment. Our insurance company is using my wife’s pregnancy to modify the terms of routine claims that were covered before. Now it’s all considered pregnancy-related and thus applies to the deductible.)Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

Now that it’s Constitutional, can we call it “Obamacare” again (without being yelled at, I mean)?Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I believe the administration is now directing you to call it Wondercare.Report

• Avatar Kimmi says:

A note to future lawmakers: if you don’t want to call it Obamacare, Hillarycare, Bushstimulus, Stop With the Alphabet Soup!

If I don’t even remember the abbreviation, I’m just going to use Obamacare, because at least that’s recognizable.Report

• Avatar Trumwill Mobile says:

I dunno, I think PPACA is pretty straightforward (“Packah our even Puhpackah work for me. I think the defensiveness surrounding “Obamacare” was out of proportion, but it was an easy enough request to honor.Report

• Avatar Scott Fields says:

Obama has recently embraced the name “Obamacare” and I think that will be even more the case after the SCOTUS decision today.

Imagine 30 years from now “Obamacare” being used the same way “Medicare” is used now. I’d think that would warm the heart of ol’ Obama sitting in the Ex-Presidents Retirement Village.Report

3. The current mindset we cling to – that we should be allowed any and every kind of care regardless of cost, efficiency, or effectiveness, without being subjected to rising premiums – needs to be discarded. This means its time to stop with the “Death Panels!” hysteria. It’s time, in other words, for us to start acting like grownups about our own healthcare system.

Yes. This.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

Agreed. Something has to give, especially as the population. Perhaps it should be the notion that we should be kept alive at any cost because it’s technically possible to do so.Report

• Avatar Zac says:

Which is why it will never happen, because the majority of Americans are not, mentally speaking, grownups.Report

4. Avatar Michelle says:

Now that the questions of the law’s legitimacy have been put to rest, we need to start having a very real conversation about what healthcare in this country should and shouldn’t be.

While I agree with most of what you’ve said in this piece, I don’t think that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision is going to put questions about the law’s legitimacy to rest. Conservatives are just going to move the fight to Congress. Romney’s already doubled down on his call to repeal it.

We do need to have a real discussion about health care policy; just as we need to take an honest look at entitlements such as social security and Medicare. But neither of our political parties has indicated that they’re serious about addressing these issues beyond using them as political talking points. Particularly the Republicans.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I’m not entirely sure I agree with this being a bad thing.

One of the things I noticed over these past few weeks, when conservatives were so sure that they were going to be victorious this morning, was how much they’ve been pushing the need to keep certain parts of the HCR bill alive. Scott Walker, Boehner, even Rubio in the interview the other night stressed hard that they were going to Do Something.

I think it’s one thing to say “Unconstitutional!” in front of a microphone. I think it’s another thing to start telling people that you’re going to take away things like pre-existing condition laws. Most polls that I have seen suggest that voters, Rs included, do not favor Obamacare as a fuzzy concept, but by and large support much of what the bill does. I don’t think we’ll see a straight repeal at this point without a counter-proposal of some sort, which is what should have happened two years ago – so better late than never.

If I’m wrong, and the GOP thinks they can just repeal without having to answer to voters why they eliminated the things voters wanted to keep, then their goose will be cooked for a long time coming.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

I think a lot will hinge on the outcome of November’s election, both presidential and congressional. If Obama survives, then Obamacare stays and becomes increasingly difficult to repeal. But if Romney and enough Tea Party types get elected, I think the whole thing is at risk, even the stuff people like. Some Republicans might want to “do something” but, aside from the Ryan Plan to privatize Medicare, I’ve yet to see many specifics.Report

• Avatar Simon K says:

Its pretty unlikely Rs will get the trifecta required to repeal Obamacare, though. Provided Ds retain either the Senate or the White House, there’s no actual repeal. So the worst you get is attempts to de-fund or otherwise prevent implementation of the bill. But precisely how does that go – I’m having trouble thinking of an avenue that doesn’t either create a awesome “Republicans killed your grandmother” talking point, or give someone standing to sue.Report

• Avatar Kimmi says:

80:20 Obama wins. and growing higher as we speak, and romney’s campaign bus does circles around obama rallies.Report

• Avatar Jeff says:

I see all the crap that the GOP has done over the years and, as long as they have the media in their pocket, I doubt anything will cook their goose.Report