Advertising and Manipulation
This morning I saw a pretty young woman wearing a T-shirt from Brooklyn Brewery. Involuntarily, I recalled the last time I’d had some of their beer. It was pretty good, I remembered. I should get some on the way home.
In other words, the advertising worked.
Questions for the League:
- Assuming I buy the beer, did I get manipulated?
- Was I trying to manipulate you just now, and did you resent it?
- Assuming I don’t buy the beer, does that make me more virtuous in some sense?
- Given all the other ads that I never respond to, how virtuous do I need to be?
- Would your opinion of my choices change if you knew that the young woman was a paid advertiser?
- And if you knew that she was not?