Constitutional Authority Statements

Ryan Noonan

Ryan Noonan is an economist with a small federal agency. Fields in which he considers himself reasonably well-informed: literature, college athletics, video games, food and beverage, the Supreme Court. Fields in which he considers himself an expert: none. He can be found on the Twitter or reached by email.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

And the funny thing is that this particular bill falls reasonably close to “interstate commerce” as well as military and national security issues, both of which are areas where, if invoked reasonably, Federal authority would functionally unquestioned. I have to imagine that this bit of drafting is the result of laziness rather than avoidance.Report

2. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

That’s not much of a power!

Are you kidding me?  It says all powers.  That makes Congress all-powerful!Report

3. Avatar Will H.

In the vernacular:
    We’re gonna write this into a law, because we can.Report

4. Avatar MFarmer

One day you will all realize the dogmatic libertarians were right. I’m going to say nanny-nanny-boo-boo.Report

5. Avatar Jeff Wong

It’s not interstate commerce what’s being sold?

6. Avatar wardsmith

Definition – Endless Loop: See Loop EndlessReport

• Avatar Will H. in reply to wardsmith

One time, back in the old days when I was going to school, I was writing this paper for some class, and I wanted to use the word ‘dilemma.’
      I couldn’t remember if it had 2 L’s or 2 M’s, so I pulled out my little paperback dictionary to look it up.
      I tried both spellings, but the word wasn’t listed.
      The dictionary gave me the definition, even without an entry, when all I wanted was to check the spelling.Report

7. Avatar Scott

Ryan:

So I’m still waiting to hear how you came up the idea that Article I, Section I isn’t much power?  Frankly it is a good thing  that Congress has to cite their authority upon which to pass each law.Report